Ridiculous MPG

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George T

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I seriously need some help, because I have no idea what could be causing this kind of mileage on my 2004 4x4 ST. Performance and suspension wise, the ST is pretty much stock. I am running synthetic oil, replaced every 5,000 miles. I have the silencer removed from the air intake. No CEL, nothing wrong. But I keep getting, 12-14 miles a gallon in the city. And maybe around 18 on the highway.

So here is my question to you, what could be causing this?

Could it be because I drive about 3 miles to school, on a cold engine, then back, and about 1 mile to work and back? Since the engine does not get to really warm up and run in ideal conditions. And I dont floor it either, the RPM's usually stay around 2100, and may sometimes go to 2500. But other than that, drive normally.

Please help,

Thank you, George T.

I live in kind of a rural area so it might vary some on a long highway trip or if I lived in a big city, but I have always averaged 18ish mpg and I calculate it every tank. So that doesn't sound terrible to me.

Sparkplugs/wires? fuel filter? things that could have a small effect.

GeorgeT,

That's the kind of MPG I got...pretty much normal.

I think folks that say they are getting substantially better MPG with an ST are stretching the truth or driving like grandma.

I get between 12-15mpg in the winter. 16-17 in the summer

thats about 50/50 city highway

I blame it on winter gas, cold engine, longer idle, and usually more weight in the vehicle

Short trips and cold engine makes for bad gas mileage. I get 19-20 mpg all the time, but I drive 50 miles to work at freeway speeds every day. I'll trade trips any day with you! Remember, 100 miles per day at 20mpg is still 5 gallons a day. 8 miles per day at 12 mpg is 2/3 of a gallon every day! So i'm getting great mileage, but spending $12.50 per day for gas, and you're getting sorry mileage and spending $1.75 per day. Which is better?

Oh ok, I thought I was the only one. Thanks everyone, now I dont feel as bad.

Thanks again everyone,

George T.

I'm feeling the MPG hit too. In summer, with mixed highway and short, stop-and-go trips, I was getting 17-19 mpg, and getting at least 400 miles to a tank.

Now I can barely eke out 350 before the gas light comes on :(

If I stopped on the old "half tank fillup" rule, I'd have to go to the gas station every other day :(

Cold weather, winter blend gas, and your altitude in Denver. Your MPG isn't all that abnormal, all things considered.

wow, that's some seriously low summer MPG, though the wintar is about the same as mine. I'd hope you aren't using the AC in the winter--any winter that needs to be air conditioned is not winter.

:smile0004:

I'd hope you aren't using the AC in the winter--any winter that needs to be air conditioned is not winter.

Don't tell anyone, but if it is winter and you are using the de-frost, you are using the AC.

Tom

Sounds like normal MPG to me.

Running the defroster and/or A/C in the winter does run the compressor, but that is what dehumidifes the interior and clears fog off the windows. This is why cars with A/C will defrost the windows much better and faster than cars without A/C.

your driving habits of short trips of 3 miles, then 1 mile, contribute alot to your mpg, engine & tranny never gets warm, etc., might try some new plugs and cleaning the TB as they are probably a bit on the dirty side since you short trip it pretty bad IMO.