RIP Green Machine

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Ortiz

Reaction score
Well guys, I never was one to post alot on here, but just wanted to say thank you for everything I've learned from this site. My ST was purchased by my grandma brand new with 75 miles on it in the summer of 2002. In 2009, it was handed down to me when I turned 16...I learned to love this truck...despite mileage of over 200,000. In 2011, the truck was passed down to my younger brother...We began to work on it together...changing spark plugs, shocks, the pita water pump, etc.

Two months ago, my brother and my best friend were involved in a life-changing accident. My brother is fine, while my best friend is still in the hospital suffering from paralysis from the waist down. In an attempt to make a U-turn, they were struck by a van on the front driver at 70 mph, then hit from the passenger side, also at 70 mph by a chevy pickup with brush guard...the driver said he had cruise control set, without time to react.

Eventually I plan to get another ST...for me this truck was perfect, just needed 4x4. At 10 years old, and having had just broken 280,000 miles, the "Green Machine" was still running as strong as ever. Thanks for all the great info over the years, and I still catch myself reading up on the forum from time to time. Just remember guys, always be on alert, things happen in the blink of an eye...

a4bd7bc6eb415c289c482c7d0de52a2f.jpg

cd502ad19bde118312b1227a69c63802.jpg

a9979f22667d94492cdf71dde935a822.jpg

1c8fde809189b98c04529d05aeb0a791.jpg

1da34721fe06628e924285ed21188a36.jpg

cde4e0a8c5407d77cdbd8bfb2db5dbe1.jpg

9b781b2ed81658532d87d34975b72ea1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry for your loss, that's a catastrophic injury to your friend, I hope he recovers and experiences minimal suffering. That accident was horrific, kinda makes me think twice about getting a small car. Good luck to your family and friends.

Sorry to hear about your freinds paralysis. Prayers for his recovery.

I think that is the worst trac damage I have seen on this board. Appears that a good set of shocks. Stoped a roll over. And possibly a death.

Gen 1 trac owners. Please replace the oem shocks. 90% chance of stoping a roll over.

Josh, SOO sorry to hear about your friend.. We will keep him in our prayers and reach out to others for your and his family...

Todd Z

I'm sorry for your friend. I'm really pretty impressed when I see the damage that happened at being hit by 70MPH vehicle. I'm shocked at the damage control and that the trac absorbed so much of the damage without tipping over and splitting in half. I've been convinced before that I believe this truck to be super safe and amongst the best built ever. I've seen other non-Ford trucks hit at that speed and they were completely toast all over the road. Again, sorry about what happened, glad your brother was fine but sorry about the other guy. He took the brunt but he's lucky he was not completely destroyed at that speed.

Deeply saddened to see this. Prayers and support to your best friend and everyone involved.

Sorry to see that, Hope the friend comes out OK. I think the LWB helps a lot with stability, I nearly rolled mine when someone swerved into my lane at 75 MPH, But I recovered it. thankfully.

On the shocks, can someone recommend a good set? My '01 needs new ones, It's still on the OEM's at 122K, and my 18yo is driving it now.

Sorry to see that, Hope the friend comes out OK. I think the LWB helps a lot with stability, I nearly rolled mine when someone swerved into my lane at 75 MPH, But I recovered it. thankfully.

On the shocks, can someone recommend a good set? My '01 needs new ones, It's still on the OEM's at 122K, and my 18yo is driving it now.

chr$,

If you dont mind the truck ride(not realy rough). Go with the rancho rs.

A little softer the monroe sensatrac.

Both are buy four for cost of three right now.

Either way no disapointment.

i will tell you what tho that sport trac saved two lives that day im sorry about what happened and your friends paralysis and i hope they both make a full recovery as well as the other vehicles involved

Thanks Eddie.

My kid drives it now, so I don't think he'll mind a bit harder ride. It has 265-75 16 Michelins on it anyway, so has a tall sidewall, and I'm sure the Michelins will help.

Thanks Eddie.

My kid drives it now, so I don't think he'll mind a bit harder ride. It has 265-75 16 Michelins on it anyway, so has a tall sidewall, and I'm sure the Michelins will help.

Latest posts