Road Noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just installed the tires and rims from my jeep tj on to my ST.

15" x 8" Pro Comp Aluminum with 31" x 10.50" x 15" M/T Baja Tires.

They are really noisy on the ST. They were much quieter on my Jeep.

What's wrong do they have to be rebalanced and wheel alinement?

Thoughts any one???[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Two thoughts: Those tires look like they have an inherently noisy tread pattern, and the Gen1 Trac is notoriously prone to allowing road noise to get into the cabin. Not a lot you can do without spending a lot to install sound deadening material all over the place an there is no guaranty that it will help much.

I find it surprising that it's noisier than the Jeep. I know the ST has some cabin noise issues, but I would have thought the Jeep would be worse.

Is it possible that the tires may have had a bit of abnormal wear from the Jeep, and thus just need a bit of time to "even out" on the Trac?

Is it possible the jeep has its own set of noises'. Maybe the tire noise isnt as prevelent because of it.

Changed every thing back the Jeep runs as it did. The MT's are much quieter on the Jeep.

I'll have to get different rim/wheels for the ST.

Yes Eddie the Jeep has it's own noises but just not the road noise as those tires had on the ST.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Dave about abnormal wear. Snow tires on my car were quiet until I got it aligned. The road noise difference was incredible due to the uneven wear from the alignment being out. When the alignment was out the tires were contacting the road in a completely different spot. It was even visable on the tread where it was not touching the road any more. Ended up tossing them and putting on new ones and all the noise went away.