Road Trip!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Dryer

Reaction score
Well it's that time again.. my wife got deployed again, this time to Spain with missions into Africa, so something like 12 people working in and out of something like 23 countries.. Since she's getting out as soon as she gets back (juneish) we decided it was silly to pay rent in CA when we have no family or close friends there, so we bought a trailer. So while my wife is deployed I'll be doing another road trip.. This time though, I'm technically homeless.. We had all our stuff moved out of our CA house and put in storage, I have a what I need with me in the trailer. So me the kids, and the cat are doing another tour of the country. I'm currently on base at the RV park, but moving in the AM to malibu (rough right?) and then headed to my brother in laws in Phoenix, followed by a couple of CO stops, with a final destination of MI. If everything works out I'll be headed to Spain for a couple of weeks to catch up with my wife, and then we'll all be back stateside to move to wherever she gets her residency.

The trip isn't in the ST as most of you know I sold it about 2 years ago and picked up a Jeep Commander with a 5.7 hemi, so I'll be towing this around the country this year..

[Broken External Image]:

So far it's done well, I bought it from a lot about 2 hrs away and towed it home, and then a few times locally.. about 5200lbs dry, 21 ft Sandpiper Toyhauler. The jeep is rated to tow 7200 lbs, I plan to get it weighed tomorrow before heading to the next RV park just to see where I'm at, but I'm pretty sure I should be alright. I towed 4500 lbs from Norfolk to San Diego a few years ago with the ST, this is a pretty big step up, but it should be a good time.

As a side trip, I'm running the white rim trail as one of the support vehicles for my buddy who is mountain biking it. I'm pretty excited to be in Moab again..

Deployment with the whole Seabee Battalion, they have projects all over the horn of Africa, and Eastern Europe. They are just based out of Rota Spain. I'm sure the medical staff will be doing some humanitarian aid as well, but really they are support for the construction crews.

I bet retirment is going to feel strange. Have an Idea where you will permantly live?

My ex inlaws bought a trailer and traveled for 16yrs. After his 31 yrs in the Coast Gaurd.They were originaly from Massashusetts. They finnaly bought a house in Leage city, Tx(houston area). They had already raised their 7 kids.

They had a 40ft at one time. Now they have down sized, to your size RV. He retired as a Captain. So he is allowed to store the trailer, at Ellington air base. They Still make summer trips. They left kids all over the country, and Coastie freinds. Even traveled to Canada where their family roots are from. Every other yr they have a reunion @ Lake Ontario. About 200 people show up.

When I met my ex. He was finishing, 6 yr tour as the Coast Gaurd comander. On the Houston ship channel. He spent his last yr on the Great Lakes. He would always drive between duty stations. With 2 cars and a pop-up. Planed educational road trips for the kids.

She isn't retiring, just separating to pursue a civilian life/career. We find out mid March where she will be doing her medical residency and we will be moving there for her to start work at the hospital the end of June. Something like 70% of residence end up staying in the area where they completed their residency, but as of right now we aren't sure where we will end up permanently. Even if I said someplace we are only in our early 30's so there is a good chance it wouldn't be permanent anyways :grin:

Just curious why you got a Toyhauler. Tpically regular travel trailers are lighter, have better amenities and are cheaper than a toyhauler of the same size.

I own a motorcycle, and used to do a lot of trackdays, I'm hoping to get back into it. Also wanting to pickup a few dirt bikes and get the kids started riding.

So I was looking to the future with the toy hauler instead of being limited when the time hopefully comes.

Latest posts