Roof leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Cramer

Reaction score
I seem to have a leak in my Trac. Just to make sure it wasn't the roof rack, I recently removed it, and siliconed around the screw locations, as well as some on the screws themselves. I haven't tried pulling down the headliner, but it seems to be coming from right in the area of the drivers side near where the roof rack is mounted.

Any suggestions on what it may be coming from? My next idea was to change out the door gasket if no one has an idea. Thanks.

Is your Trac a Gen1 or Gen2? If it's leaking in the back, it could be the third brake light or the rear window seal.

I had the same problem on my '03 ST. The third brake light was leaking as well as the right rear section of the roof rack, I sealed all of the roof rack screws and mounting area and sealed the third brake light.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
not leaking in the back, or the brake light. not sure if it's a gen 1 or 2. i'm thinking it's a gen 1 though. i don't have a sunroof, or moonroof.

if i park the trac facing up hill it still drips from the corner. i pulled at the headliner alittle, and seen a hole which looked like it goes up to were the screws for the roof racks can be seen, and that looks like where it's coming from that area somewhere.

I see you live near Pittsburgh, if you want to come by my house I can check it out for you. I live on the northside of Pittsburgh, in Brighton Heights, just off Brighton Rd..

common problem is the third brake light - I used some super mega-sticky water-repellent 3M foam stuff and outline the interior housing of the light where it contacts the truck body. Never had a problem since.

are you getting any water below the door sills? Pull the plastic up door sills up and look to see if all your wires are buried in water...

OR...drive down the road after a heavy, steady rain and hit the brakes. if you hear water sloshing, you've got water in there lol. That was my first clue

Latest posts