Rotors and overdrive

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Baker

Reaction score
I now gave 32000 km on my truck and after having it in for service today I was told that I have 2 front rotors that a warpped and need to be turned and my front tires are starting to cup but I have had them rotated every 8000 km. The answer from the dealer ship was that the rotors will warp from things like carwashes and if you hit puddles after driving on the highway and the tires will cup that's just the way they are they are only good for 60 k because they are soft.

I also asked him why when I am stopping it feels like my transmission misses a gear kinda like when you are driving a standard and you are down shifting he said it's because it's an electronic shifting transmission they all do it but it does not do it when I'm not in overdrive. Any help would be great thanks.

You seriously need a new dealer.

Rotors warp, that's a fact of life, but to blame it on carwashes is a stretch. The 3 biggest causes of tire cupping, cupping being that the leading edge of the tread is lower than the trailing edge of the tread, is tire balance, lack of rotation and lastly weak shocks. The shocks on my Gen 2 were shot at 20,000 miles. As far as the transmission goes Ford has had ALOT of issues with the 6R60 trans that is in this vehicle.

L1TECH:

So what shocks did you replace yours with. Brand and part numbers if you still have them. Most posts I've seen here indicate no aftermarket replacement shocks for Gen 2??

I've got 36000 miles on my GOODYEAR Fortera and they will need replacement soon. I rotate every 5000 miles. No cupping just not too good of lifespan IMO!

'07 ST

^^^^

There are no aftermarket shocks available for the GEN II and being that Ford has dropped the vehicle I don't know if anyone will even bother to produce any. My attempts at the dealer to get the shock warrantied was futile as they just kept saying "no problem found", I did however come up with a solution...I traded the ST in a 2010 Edge and that seemed to solve my ride issues :grin:.

My stock Forteras started cupping around 12,000 miles and by about 24,000 were toast

Eh, they warp over time. Some vehicles are worse than others. I have 37,000 miles on my '08 and the front brakes pulse. Short of dropping over $100 apiece on Powerslots, the best rotors I've found are NAPA Ultra Premiums. They're the only ones that last longer than a year on my wife's Taurus. (If you're not familiar, Tauruses chew front brakes up like crazy.) The cheap rotors are so cheap that it's not really worth turning them any more.

JohnnyO, my ex's '01 escape completely wore the oem rotors out with, oem pads @ 45K. Almost as if the rotors were of the same material as the pads. First time I have seen that kind of wear on rotors. So much wear on the rotors, I think the calipers were running out of piston movement. The rotors had worn down more than mininum.