Rotors that won't rust at the hub

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
I'll probably upgrade my brakes when I hit 30K miles. Which rotors will not rust at the hub? My eyes hurt when I see the circle of rust on the stock ones. I have seen the project where the stock hub was painted, but I will most likely purchase an aftermarket set of rotors.

I have never seen rotors that don't rust.

In the past, I have remove the rotor. Sanded them down fully, spray painted the hub and stud area with a clear lacquer. Works pretty well.

Ditto....

Todd Z

Flip, I think I saw a product a Pep Boys that would chemically convert rust into some kind of coating, then you can paint over. Fast Eddie's way would be good too, if you are riding on OEM wheels, since I think when I check on it, fitment asks what OEM wheels it will be used.

Good Luck on the search.

Running Kleen Wheels would prevent me from seeing this on my 2002.

[Broken External Image]:

Tom

All rotors will rust. Paint will wear off the contact surfaces and if the vehicles sits for a day or two, rust will start to form on the surface of the rotor.

The only rotors that don't rust are the ones made from stainless steel, however they are usually much more expensive and I don't know if anyone makes Stainless steel rotors for the Sport Trac.

Some rotor come with a cadmium coating that gives them a slight yellow tint. This coating will help delay the formation of rust, but this is only a surface treatment and does not last very long.

...Rich

From the Explorer Express web site:

POWERSLOT Rotors vs. Stock Rotors

Explorers have notoriously poor brakes - especially the earlier models. These brake rotors significantly improve wet and dry braking. They're CNC machine slotted to help reduce brake fade by allowing brake dust, pad out-gas and heat to escape. They improve wet weather braking by channeling water thru the slots and off rotor surfaces. Rotors run cooler for more consistent performance, reduced rotor warpage and longer pad life. Brilliant, military spec anticorrosion plating eliminates rusty rotors. A safer, more efficient alternative to crack prone cross drilled rotors.

Priced per pair. Fits 93-01 Explorers/01-04 Sport & Sport Trac

Application Specs Part # Price

93-94 Explorers Front 2WD hub & rotors PS8536PSRL $309.90

95-01 Explorers Front 2WD hub & rotors PS8551PSRL $294.90

01-03 Sport & 01-04 Sport Trac Front 2WD hub & rotors PS8751PSRL $309.90

93-94 Explorers Front 4WD hub & rotors PS8535PSRL $279.90

95-01 Explorers Front 4WD rotors PS8554PSRL $244.90

01-03 Sport & 01-04 Sport Trac Front 4WD rotors PS8754 $279.90

95-01 Explorers Rear rotors PS8751PSRL $209.90

Last edited by a moderator:
Mookie,

The Military "Plating" described in the Explorer Express ad is only a plating, and probably cadmium as I previously described. It will resist rust for a while, but it to will eventually rust especially when exposed to constant deposits of brake dust.

Also, The Sport Trac uses larger brake rotor than the standard Explorer. And dispite the fact that a lot of people have experienced squeaking and premature wear, the early 2001-2002 reviews rated the brakes as excellent.

...Rich

I just copied from the Explorer Express web site because of their claim of eliminating rusty rotors.

I wasn't trying to disparage the Trac's brakes.

Mookie,

I know. I just think it is funny. Many people are the first to complain about something when they really don't know the facts. It is called marketing.

Tom

Caymen, you wouldn't happen to have a pic with the wheel back on would you?

What are Powerslot's part numbers for the rear rotors on the 04 Sport Trac?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts