rough idle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danie Samuels

Reaction score
Well I have just about exhausted everything and still have a rough idle. I have cleaned the IAC, replaced the plugs, had the wires checked and checked the suspect hose (didn't see any cracks). The shop had the truck all day today and couldn't figure out what the problem was.

It is idling around 500 and acts like it is missing. The shop suggested the timing but I don't know if that would be the problem. Anybody have any ideas??

Dan

What all did the shop check? Did they say? If it is idleing at 500 then that is to low. I think it should be around 650 or 750. Something like that. Could still be a very small crack in the "famous" elbow that you couldn't see. Could be a leaking head gasket. Do you have a aftermarket air filter? (K&N and such) If so, oil could have gotten on the MAF sensor. Alot of things actually (and unfortunately). I do feel for you. My Toyota was like that. I tried and tried to figure out and finally got one mechanic to tell me what it was (after about 2 years of other mechanics not figuring it out). It was the throttle position sensor. It was sending wrong info. New sensor, no problems. It sucks though when you try everything you can think of, and nothing helps.;)

Dan have you tried cleaning the MAF ??? Also checking the wires is really no god, They should have been replaced.. ONE of them could have been damaged when the plugs where changed..

Todd Z