Rough start

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
A couple of times already this week I've had to crank the ignition hard to get the engine running. Happens when engine is either warm or cold. I cleaned the IAC and MAF just a few days ago. Doesn't happen all the time and everything else seems fine. I have an 04 with just over 29K miles. Time for new plugs?

i have the exact same problem on occasion i thought maybe it was my battery seeing as the meeter is sitting just below half? could that be it?

Change the fuel fiter...if you havent yet..plugs and wires should be fine at 29k

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuel filter, air filter????

Also try turning the key on but do not start 2-3 times.. Then start the truck IF it is easier it is more than likely a dirty fuel filter..

At 30K plugs would not hurt..

Todd Z

I have changed the fuel filter in mine four times and the only one with considerable gunk in it was the first. It's inexpensive and fairly easy (and suggested every 30k mi.) - do it.

Did you get the vacuum line attached back near the MAF? It's a solid line coming into the piece of plastic from the air filter to the intake. Had mine into Ford for a checkup, and when they checked the air filter, they did not reconnect it. Truck started hard and surged at idle. When I finally had a chance to look, I found it, pushed it back in and problem solved...

Thanks for the feedback folks. Battery seems fine, air filter is clean, and vacuum line (?) is connected. Will have fuel filter replaced; it was on my list anyway.