Route wire from taillight to cab?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Ohnsman

Reaction score
I have an aftermarket "Back-Up Alert" device which was given to me as a gift some time ago. I've never hooked it up to anything, but am giving consideration to trying it on the ST. I uses an ultrasonic sensor which attaches to the rear of the vehicle and taps into the back-up lights for power and to sense when the vehicle is in reverse. It supposedly can detect the distance from the rear of the vehicle to an object and display it on the included "display module." (It's sorta like this one - http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Alert-Backup-Warning-System/dp/B0007R740A)

My question is, if I had to route wires from one of the taillights back into the cab (up near the dash), what is the best / cleanest way to do this? I don't want to have to drill any holes if I can avoid it. Perhaps there's a better place to tap into the circuit for the backup lights that's already in the dash? Is it even worth monkeying with this gizmo given the issues hooking it up? It looks like it would be more practical in a sedan with a trunk. I have no doubt it would work on the ST, but wire routing is the challenge here.

Anybody else ever used one of these devices?

Take one of the tail lights out and look for a hole into the body. If there isn't one, make one then silicone it up. Go down and route under the truck and there is a grommet under the pass. side pillar between the doors into the vehicle. Route the wire under the molding on the door jamb step. You can do it, it's pretty simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts