Royal Purple

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Lyon

Reaction score
I have seen that a lot of you use and recommend Royal Purple oil, do you also recommend their other products? If so what do you use? I ask because I am about to take the truck in for its first major maintenance and I want to go ahead and change all the recommended fluids and filters. I'm looking for a consensus on what everyone recommends for oil, oil filters, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, radiator fluid, brake fluid, etc. I have an 07' with the 4.6L V8. Thanks for your help.

i dont use the royal purple oil all the time... only because mobil 1 is the same... and its cheaper

i do use all other royal purple products... well almost lol

i have purple ice, the diff fluid and tranny fluid

i recommend it

oil like i said mobil 1 and i use a mobil 1 filter

if ur having problems finding purple ice or they diff and tranny fluid

go to advance, tell them too look in the index for royal purple its like 2pages of nothing but royal purple products.

if u order b4 5pm central time i believe itll be there next day

actually here are the part numbers, tell them to call right choice

purple ice 01600

RP tranny 01320

RP diff (75w-140) 01301

the oil they should have instock

need anymore help give me an email bro... i just changed everything out on my truck bout 2weeks ago ;) 32k miles old

I use Royal Purple in the engine, tranny & differential. I also use Royal Purple's Purple Ice coolant additive, and the their power steering fluid. I also use the K&N Performance Gold Oil Filter. I use the pre-mixed 50/50 coolant.

Reaper, How do you know that Mobil 1 is the same as Royal Purple? Royal Purple is a propriatary blend of synthetics. I usually go with "you get what you pay for".

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told Royal Purple was the same oil with the only difference being the color...

like a year ago from a mechanic i work with at advance...

and.. i get the whole u get what u pay for...

but the mobil 1 im using this very second is i think only 20cents cheaper than RP

and i dont see the need to spend an extra 20cents per qt when i change my oil way more than i need to at every 3k

but to each his own bro.

i do use the oil when there isnt mobil 1 so yea...

If Mobile 1 and RP are the same, I wonder why the experts who race for a living who risk everything on the oil in the oil pan use Rp instead of Mobile 1?

I think someone awhile back gave us a rundown on mobil 1. That it is still part dino. As where RP and one other is 100% syn. Mobil 1 got its name cause it was the first syn available to us, on the shelf.

mobil 1 comes in a full syn.

i use the full syn extended performance

only time there was conventional oil in my truck was when it rolled of the lot

I use Royal Purple in everything, the engine, tranny, coolant, power steering, windshield wiper fluid, gas tank. I wash my truck with it, use it as a creamer substitute in my coffee and as a meat marinade. It has cured my cirrhosis, I have no more acne and my hair is growing back. My limp is gone, I get 50 mpg and my dog doesn't have fleas anymore. Can Mobile 1 do all that?

Hey Tom can you get me the product numbers for all that Royal Purple stuff???:D

Mobil1 is a full synthetic made from conventional oil.

Redline, Royal Purple, and Amsoil are full synthetic made from scratch.

By definition, Mobil1 may be full synthetic, but it starts its life a dino goo.

Mobil1 was the first synthetic oil made. Amsoil was the first to make it available to the general public for use in motor vehicles.

FWIW, if you change synthetic oil every 3000 miles, I have one question for you. Can you give it to me? ou are changing it way too often.

I change my oil once a year, no matter the mileage. One vehicle went 6,000 miles and the other went 20,000 miles.

Tom

lol ur like the billionth person to ask if i would give my used oil to...

and yea, i do i change it way to often... every 3000miles with out fail.

just a habbit i got in and will forever do, like i said in another post, its my first vehicle and i want it to last for awhile so i change everything slightly more than i need to to make myself feel more comfy.

whether it takes me 1day or 3-5monthes, when the 3k mark hits... oil is drained

just what i like to do, like u like to use royal purple, i use mobil...

TO EACH, HIS OWN.... :cool:

Alright so I think I'm on the right track for my 07'. If I'm going to use Royal purple products than I need to use:

Oil- 5w20

Oil Filter- K&N Performance Gold HP-2010

Front Diff- 75w90

Rear Diff- 75w140??? No friction modifier because no limited slip on the 07'?

Transmission Fluid- Max ATF??? I don't think I need a Ford Additive for this right?

Radiator Fluid- Purple Ice??? How does this compare to the recommended Motorcraft Premium Gold?

Brake Fluid??? No one has recommended anything so I'm guessing factory recommended stuff is OK?

Power Steering Fluid- Max EZ??? Unless there is another, better, recommendation?

I think that's it but if I'm missing something or if I made a mistake please let me know.

I am trying to figure out what all I need so that I can place my order on Monday.

Thanks fo all your help!:)

I met a guy once, that worked on small aircraft. He would take the amsoil from the oil changes. He would strain it and run it in his car for 10k miles and change the filter at 5K...

here's an earlier post which links to a test of synthetic oils....see for yourself which is best.........

Testing Synthetic Oil's w/ a bearing load........ by plymbob'02Member Profile, 6/19/2008 15:15 ET

Category - General Information

Reference: Testing Synthetic Oil's using a bearing under load.

In some earlier posts it was asked which synthetic oil was preferred, who liked which and for what reasons etc. Some time back someone posted a link to a comparative test that was done by Streetcommodores.com which asked the question "Which Oil Is Right For You?"

For those interested in this test.....here is the link.....

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

This test convinced me to switch to Royal Purple from the other synthetic oil I was using.

Bob

A used oil analysis is the only way to know for sure.

I've always got good UOA's from Mobil 1 on the couple of 4.0 SOHC's I've owned EXCEPT for the one time I tried Mobil 1 5w-30 Truck & SUV, which the wear metals were through the roof and Blackstone recommended I only run it for 3000 miles. I would not advise using it. A case of don't believe the marketing, believe the lab results.

Based on my experience:

Mobil 1 is good but tends to show high iron numbers in most engines (but we're talking parts per million, no biggie).

Pennzoil Platinum has always given me better numbers than Mobil 1 and costs less.

Motorcraft Blend is very very good stuff.

Up to about a 6000 mile OCI, Havoline will give you as good a UOA as a synthetic.

Currently the Trac has Valvoline Synpower in it, I've not used it before. I'll change the oil tomorrow, which will be a little early, but we're going on vacation and it will be way over if I don't. I'm going to try Mobil 1 0w-30 Fuel Economy Formula. :rolleyes:

I have not tried Royal Purple.

Run what you want. Get UOA's occasionally.

I was reading through the oil comparison, and the bottles they show are for all over the board for weights. From 5W-30 to 0W-40 to 15W-50

Won't that have a bearing (heh) on the results?

Latest posts