Royal Purple

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't put RP in the tranny.

If you ever have tranny issues, Ford will deny your warranty. RP is not Mercon 5 certified.

The only commonly available Mercon V ATF's that I have seen are Castrol Mercon V (duh) and Mobil 1. Mobil 1's Mercon V rating is fairly recent so if you get it DO check the back label to make sure. Older bottles will not be Mercon V rated.

I had the tranny flushed on my old '05 Trac at the Valvoline Qwicky-Lube. No time to go to the dealer. They flushed it with Dexron and the additive. I was like, "Whoa, wait a second", so they let me see the additive bottle. I checked the fine print and everything, apparently the additive goes into Dexron ATF to make it Mercon V and not into plain Mercon. I drove it another 15,000 miles without incident.

The transfer case takes plain Mercon, not Mercon V. I used Mobil 1 ATF in the transfer case of my '05.

I am running Amsoil ATF. It is certified Dexron, Mercon, and Mercon V. So far, been running it 90,000 HARD miles and shifting flawless.

I have used that stuff in the transfer case, tranny, and Power Steering on my wifes 4x4 Explorer. (I have a 4x2 Trac, no transfer case in that one).

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so thanks for all your input. I'm still looking for recommendations for brake fluid, steering fluid, and coolant. Some have recommended Purple Ice for the coolant but I've not seen any other recommendations and no comparison to the Ford recommended Motorcraft Premium Gold. So far I think I've decided to go with the following, if one of you knows something about one of these products that I should consider before buying please let me know.

Oil- Royal Purple 5w20

Oil Filter- K&N HP-2010

Rear Differential- Royal Purple 75w140

Thanks again for everyones input keep the comments coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brake fluid - Ate Super Racing Blue

Steering fluid - RP

Coolant - Ford regular gold with Purple Ice.

If you can afford it, get the 5W-20 XPR Oil.

I'm good with the rest.

Wow that XPR oil is twice what I can get the regular for. I'm looking at a cost of around $7/qt for RP 5w20 and $11.75/qt for the XPR 11. Is that typical? Will I see enough of a difference (long term) to justify the extra?

How about the ATE Brake Fluid my cost is $12.50/liter? With the coolant do I understand you correctly, just get the regular gold not the premium but add the Purple Ice?

Buy the brake fluid. I pay just under $11/L.

Just add the purple ice to the coolant that's already in there.

Cool! Thanks again for your help Dingo! Hey are you going to be at your shop all day tomorrow? I ask because I've got to drive down to FL and I was thinking about dropping in for a few if you think you'll have the time?

Dingo, aren't you running RP in your trans? I thought I saw you list that in another post? If not what are you running now?

Latest posts