running bar bent

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James W

Reaction score
Some jack ass at a Wal Mart parking lot hit my driver's side step bar and bent it down. What is the best way to bend it back? I know I can take a floor jack and start jacking until it is about right, but that is a little nerving for me.

Is there any better way? I have not yet called a body shop for fear that I will get the "Oh yeah, we can fix it for you for a small fee of $500" treatment.

Not sure if it is possible.The easiest way may be to check junkyards to see if there any at a reasonable price. Being that they are a tube, it would probably give you the same results as trying to straighten a bent piece of copper tubing.;)

James,

Did the guy who hit your truck stop and give the name and insurance policy number? I would think his insurance would pay to replace the bar.

If it was a hit and run, and you don't want to put it on your insurance, then I would try the jack. If that does not work, you are no worse off than you are now, and you will just have to buy some replacements.

...Rich

hit and run. Otherwise, I would file on their insurance for sure. The tube is straight, just the supports were bent.

My plan is to get a 4x4 piece of wood and put the jack under it and see how it does.

Yes, a piece of wood and a floor jack will do the trick...

Todd Z

Was there other damage to the vehicle? I ask because if the only damage is a bent-down step bar, I don't understand how that cut happen with a hit and run.

I do see how two jackasses, or one big jackass might jump up and down on a step bar to cause that damage, but a hit and run?

Jack it!

TJR

TJR,

I believe what happened is that someone hit a shopping cart into my Trac. I do have some very extensive scratches and the shopping cart was pinned against my vehicle with no vehicle next to it. It was almost wedged into it.

Buy a lottery ticket James, because still, as described, I find it astronomically lucky that something could hit your car hard enough to bend down the bar and not do door damage...though I recognize that the bar sticks out pretty far, still, I think you are lucky!