Running wires from cab to bed.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Smith 2

Reaction score
I've got an '02 trac and want to run wire from the cab through to the bed of the truck and I can't find an obvious place to run the wire out of the back of the cab. My goal is to get 110VAC available in the bed, from the inverter that is already installed in the storage space behind my rear seats. Anyone done this? I did the same thing in my Ranger, but it was easy because under the jump seats there were holes in the floor that just had rubber plugs in them. I have yet to find anything so convenient in the Sport Trac. I can't even find where the conduit is that goes to the rear lights and the existing 12VDC outlet in the bed.. it's well hidden!

Open the panel where the sub would normally behind the seat. If you look down there's a hole, and below that hole is a very large rubber grommet that leads outside of the cab.

There should be one on the jack panel side as well.

Easier than that! Just pop up the reard door threshold plastic trim, and you will see a squarish black plastic wire tunnel. Pop up the cover and you will find a wiring harness under there. If you look at the bottom of the wire tunnel towards the rear of the door, you will find an oval rubber grommet. Poke a hole in the grommet to get your wire through and it comes out of the cab, under the rocker panel.

You can thread the wire up inside the rear fender and over the wheel well liner and back to the box where the 12V power socket is in the bed.

That wire tunnel is on either side of the truck under both back door thresholds.

...Rich

I found the rubber plug Rich mentioned, and this looks like my easiest out. I didn't notice it before because it was recessed and filled up with sand and driveway debris.

Latest posts