Rust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Thomas

Reaction score
I am going to refurbish my 15 year old trailer. It has quite a bit of superficial rust and I am going to grind and sand as much as possible. I would like to apply some type of rust treatment after cleaning the steel the best I can. I have searched a lots of treatments, but most require complete submersion of the part. This is not possible for the trailer. Any ideas on the best treatment or approach to the clean-up and painting. I don't have anyone that does sandblasting anywhere near me.

Take a look at POR-15. It's been around for a long time, although I've never tried it myself. I've got a 5x10 trailer with a solid steel floor that I'm going to be doing some work on fairly soon as well, and I've been contemplating having the whole thing sprayed with a bedliner material.

Redfish,

I did that to my utility trailer back about 10 years ago. I bought a 2000 lbs capacity 4X8' utility trailer that bolted togethe. I welded on side rails and instead of a plywoood floor I installed pressure treated 2X6 lumber, all drilled and bolted down. A few weeks after the trailer was finished I noticed a light coat of rust all over the welds and the angle iron side rails I added.

I found a paint on product that you just spread on with a brush after you wirebrushed any loose rust. The coating goes on clear and almost immediately turns black as it converts the rust to a paintable surface and needs no primer. I finished the job with a few cans of black spray paint and 10 years later, the trailer still does not show any traces of rust.

Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the product but you do not have to dip the whole trailer? Just paint it on the rust and when it dries, paint over with the color of your choice

Look in some of your local Hardware stores....I think Rustoleum makes a rust converter, but I', not sure if that's the brand I used....but they are all about the same.

...Rich

Latest posts