Rusted transmission line...HELP?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makin Trax

Reaction score
Long time member but as many know I don't post here much any more but still lurk from time to time. Lots of valuable info here, which leads me to a question. I just this week has the dreaded rusted transmission line rust through right under the radiator. I temporarily fixed it by cutting both lines and replaced the approximate 2 inches with transmission cooler hose. I double clamped both sides but... can new hard lines still be bought? I'm not sure about my "fix". The rest of the lines look great. Am I being paranoid with my patch or will it be fine? Any info will be very helpful. I cant seem to find much info on our line replacement online so I'm hoping someone here has some insight. Thanks in advance for your help

I don't see why your fix won't last for a while - there's not a lot of pressure in those lines. Should be fine. For replacement hard lines where have you looked?

the patch will work, i used some compression fittings to repace the rusted sections. check the clamps occsionay you cold fare the ends of the tube for some bite for the clamps, too. make sure the hose is rated for that duty, too

Thanks guys, I did flare the lines and the overlap of hose on to the hard line is about two inches and double clamped. I guess my net important question is what is the line pressure on that? As far as looking for replacements, I've looked on numerous Ford parts sites, autozone and O'Rileys auto parts. Even tried rock auto. I appreciate the replies!

Great! Thanks! I can always count on this board if in need of help . I greatly appreciate it! I'll post a follow up once I get some miles under my patch and let you know how it's holding up. I really don't understand why they didn't run rubber lines under that spot anyway, it's the only place there was rust seems like it could have been prevented with 3 more inches of hose from the cooler.

Yes true but original factory line to the metal ones are rubber why did they not extend the rubber lines further under the radiator (the trouble spot for corrosion) is what I was saying. This is a gen 1 trac. Not sure if they continued it this way on the gen 2's