Scan Gauge ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary DiPietroSr

Reaction score
I haven't used my ST for a week or so. Went to drive it today and the battery was stone dead. I've had the scan gauge plugged in. Do you think it drained the battery with it's small currant draw? I'm guessing the sleep mode was still too much for it.

Could be, But the battery could be week from lack of use too, I know you don't use it much....

Could charge it on the run to Louisville ???

Todd Z

Not sure, I have left the trac for a couple of weeks before and no problem with the battery. Maybe the cold weather didn't help any also.

My bet is on the battery. I dought the current draw is any more than other keep alive circuits in sleep mode...

my bet is the battery. Looking at your list of mods, there is a bit of electronics there. Mine lasted 6 years, but I am in FL, not iceberg state of CT you live in ;)

Drove through there once on the way to RI, I about froze my behind off -- in April :(

Battery - Discharges After Vehicle Storage

TSB 07-5-13

03/19/07

DISCHARGED BATTERIES - VEHICLES IN

STORAGE/LIMITED USAGE

FORD:

2005-2008 Mustang

2005 Explorer Sport Trac

2005-2008 Expedition, Explorer

2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac

LINCOLN:

2005-2008 Navigator

MERCURY:

2005-2008 Mountaineer

ISSUE

Some 2005-2008 Mustang , Explorer 4dr, Mountaineer, Expedition, Navigator, 2005 Explorer Sport Trac and 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles may experience a no start and have a discharged battery. They are usually stored for prolonged periods of time or are driven infrequently for short distances. Batteries will discharge while the vehicle is in storage due to normal current draw loads. Over a period of time, 30 days or more, vehicles in storage will have shallow to deeply discharged batteries as a result of lack of use or normal current draw.

ACTION

Follow the Service Tips steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE TIPS

1. Charging system diagnostics and battery draw test are located in Workshop Manual, Section 414-00.

2. Discharged batteries need to be properly recharged following the procedures in TSB 07-5-8.

3. All modern automobiles have several micro processors in their electrical system that will draw small amounts of electrical current when the vehicle key is off. Normal current draw is between 20-30 milliamps (workshop manual specification is up to 50 milliamps 0.050 amps).

4. The more discharged a battery becomes, the more susceptible it is to permanent damage. This is more likely in low temperatures (below 32 °F (0 °C).

Batteries will discharge while the vehicle is in storage due to normal current draw loads. Over a period of time (30 days or more), vehicles in storage will have shallow to deeply discharged batteries as a result of lack of use or normal current draw.

NOTE ELECTRICAL OR ELECTRONIC ACCESSORIES OR COMPONENTS ADDED TO THE VEHICLE BY THE DEALER OR BY THE OWNER WILL INCREASE THE CURRENT DRAW LOADS AND ADVERSELY AFFECT BATTERY PERFORMANCE AND DURABILITY.

5. The vehicle's charging system is designed to supply the vehicle's electrical power needs and maintain the battery to near full charge during normal vehicle use. The charging system is not capable of bringing a deeply discharged battery back to near full charge in a short amount of time such as allowing the vehicle to idle for 15 minutes to "recharge the battery" or from short drive cycles.

6. Short drive cycles will only provide a small surface charge to the battery. To fully recharge a battery that is fully discharged requires operating the vehicle for approximately two (2) hours with engine speed above 1500 RPM.

7. Vehicles that are stored for extended periods or are driven infrequently for short distances may need to use an auxiliary battery maintainer/charger that is expressly designed to maintain the battery state of charge during storage. These maintainers/chargers are available in the automotive aftermarket and should be used according to their manufacturer's direction.

Latest posts