Scooter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes Davis

Reaction score
Anyone purchase one of the Asian scooters that are for sale everywhere? You know the ones, brand new for less than a grand. There are about a thousand different makes and models for sale right now because of the gas prices. I am thinking of getting my girl one. She works about a mile away so it wont be ridden hard but it will be ridden daily. I would like one that has all the interchangeable parts with the name brands such as Honda or Yamaha(they all advertise that they do). Anybody got one or hear of a certain brand that stands out against the others. I know a lot of these bikes are junk but one has to be better than the other.

It's a mile and you'd rather ride at 30 mph in the road and be labeled a jackass then just walk/bike it?

Seriously, those guys ride down the main road on a major peninsula here, and they can only go 35 mph or so, and they're riding in the lanes rated at 50 mph...needless to say that leads to stupidity like passing them on the shoulder.

They're all junk. Pedal power is a better alternative. Even bruce lee advocated biking.

but if you must insist on a powered thing, why not make the jump to a motorcycle? All the benefits of the scooter without the stigma and endangering yourself and others (and looking like an idiot--those things look wussy IMO)

Well she does want a motorcycle, specifically a Honda Rebel 250. Its me that is hesitant about her first bike being a motorcycle. I would like to see her start off on a scooter and upgrade to a motorcycle. We live down here in Ft Lauderdale and there are practically as many scooters on the road as cars and definitely more scooters than motorcycles so the image thing isn't an issue. All of her riding will be on city streets with top speeds of 35-45. She has never ridden anything before so I am leary of putting her on a bike for the first time with the clutch and gears and power. She could get on a scooter and safely go from day one.

I think the scooter is a great idea. Who wants to be all sweaty showing up at work after riding a bicycle. I could care less what someone else thinks of it. I ride a Harley Road King and I'm thinking of getting one for my wife for the same reason as you. I'm sure I'd ride it too. Don't know much about the Asian scooters, I'd get the real deal, that's why my "bike" is a Harley. Just my opinion of course.

Ron

They call them liquor-cycles around here When you lose your icense due too DUI, you can drive a moped without a license.

Properly modded, they will do 65, but that makes them illegal as mopeds.

My limited perspective biased me again--in a city area, it would make sense. I'm always thinking of my sorta "rural" area, where too many environmentalists who are ignorant of facts live, and hinder the living of others :(

For the whole "sweaty on a bike" thing, it's only a mile, and you can go 10 mph on a bike with the same energy as just walking at 2-3mph, so except for the climate of florida, I don't think anyone would be sweating from that ron (I'd hope not).

**though outside of a city, where traffic moves faster than 35 mph, where can you ride it? Riding on shoulders here isn't viable, riding in the lane is stupid in all ways, but people still persist in trying, but "near misses" have led to them riding down bike paths which prohibit motorized vehicles. It's a lose/lose in the rural and suburban areas :(

so except for the climate of florida

Kevin you need to get out more. May - October in Atlanta and you can break a sweat sipping a sweat tea on your front porch while rocking in a chair, let alone taking a spin on a bike.

Being a transplanted Yankee I had to adapt from Rochester, NY 70-85 degree summers to 85-100 degree (plus humidity that you can cut with a knife) summers and for a much longer period of time. In Rochester that was only July 3, 4 & 5.

image thing isn't an issue

But you know what they say about scooters and fat chicks.....all fun and games until your friends see you with one. (always loved that joke)

Last edited by a moderator:
35???the scooters ME is talking about can do up to 70

and do have a lot of interchangable parts with

the honda scooters.

for a first motorcycle it just might be a viable option

other than being in Fla i think you are taking your life

in your hands as most people i came across when

donw there dont really know how to drive.

Latest posts