Scratched OEM step bars

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
There is a 1.5 foot long deep scratch along my driver's side OEM step bar and I can see it is starting to rust. What's the best way to go about fixing the scratch so that it's not susceptible to rust and also to cover it up so it looks new again.

Most Gen1 step bars rust horribly on their own, especially around the seams. So I just replaced mine a few years ago with a stainless-steel model sold on eBay, and I've been happy with it. That's the solution I would recommend.

Sand it down and paint. I haven't had rust but it was easy and cheap when I painted to match the cladding.

I "painted" mine with 3M Rubberized Undercoating......looks like they were LineX/Rhino covered. Holding up well, it's been about 3 years since I sprayed them.

John that wouldbe an easy afternoon sand and paint...Easy to remove the pad and the bar from the brackets,unless you want to paint brackets also.

Thanks guys but there's no need for me to rework the whole bar. Other than the scratch I mentioned, they're in very good condition. I actually had these in storage when I got Westin stainless steel ones. But I reinstalled the OEM ones because they are easier to reach during egress and have greater and grippier stepping area. Anyhow, what's a good touch-up paint for these 04 bars? What color?

I took mine off my '04. When it was new. I think they were a flat black. Or very little gloss.

As much as I hate Wal-Mart, their touch up paint section in the automotive aisles is pretty good. Maybe snap a picture with your phone and try to match it up in there. Or take off the whole step bar and parade it through Wal-Mart. You won't look out of place in our modern circus.

I'd sand the rust off before painting. A small dremel bit would make a 30 second job of that.

Latest posts