Scuba Diving/ Florida Keys

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James B 3

Reaction score
I am planning a trip to the keys to go diving in the next month or so. Does anyone have any suggestions on hotels, dive sites, what part of the keys to stay etc.. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

james

James, get in touch with member lasik1, he's down in Key West. He has LOTS of info on places to stay and go.

As for diving, from what I have heard John Pennicamp State Park has a really neat trip they offer. It's touristy, but nice none-the-less.

If you are going to do any of your own cooking, you have got to go to the Islamorada Seafood shop ... also, a restaurant called The Quay (excellent chonch fritters, and a fantastic view of the sunset!) ...

There are tons of good places to go. Where in the keys are you going? in the upper keys there is Pennekamp Park, the middle keys have lots of shallow reefs like Sombrero, coffins patch, alligator reef, Looe Key is in the lower keys around Big Pine Key. I agree with the places and things mentioned above. Lots of good stuff in the Keys!

We are fortunate that we can drive down there a couple of times a year. We are going to Islamorada the end of Feb. to see if we can bully net a few lobster. (the water is too cold for me this time of the year to snorkel) :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.parmersplace.com/

Not a flashy hotel at all, just a nice place to sleep. Who spends much time AT the hotel when your in the Keys anyway?

Bahia Honda and Looe Key are my favorite destinations. oh, and Fort Jefferson is a must if you've got the time.

lasik1,

What was the restraunt you reccommended Theresa and I to go to that one time? It is just North on US1 outside of Key West? They have some Signature meal that they offer some prize if you guess how many of them they will sell.

For the life of me, I can not remember.

Tom

It is outside. Looks like a Fish Market. You sit on pic-nic tables around the perimeter.

Tom