Seat swap or rebuild oem seat?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russell Reed

Reaction score
I have come to a point where it is time to rebuild the seats or swap them out. Both my front seats have seen better days. I have an 04 xlt with manual seat. Both seats the reclining parts have either broken or the handle broke off. Plus both cushions are shot when someone goes to get out they have slide across the plastic side piece of the seat. My girl has been complaining about it so I think it is time. If I remember right the rails are a bit angled, I maybe wrong. What kind of seats swap into these trucks with little to no fabrication? Has anyone taken the seats apart and replaced the foam and mechanical parts? I am thinking three routes. Not to sure which route to go. Just weighing my options. I am located in CA Bay Area if someone has something for sale in regards to the seats.

Attachments

• E2996323-1799-4604-9C88-BC96512659BA.jpeg
    E2996323-1799-4604-9C88-BC96512659BA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4
My new-to-me 2005 could use some seat cushion reinforcement. Or maybe I should lose some weight. The seats look almost new but I had thought about taking my ST to an upholstery shop. I'm not bariatric size. You may want to try Pick and Pull for pieces.

There is quite a few seats you can use on your base,,as far as rebuilding ford are pretty easy to peel, if ya have hog rings and hog ring pliers, we used many different seats and mounted on ford pans,, if the foam is not in chunks you can have a shop inject steam in foam and it swells back up. we used a rod with holes and old foam feels new again. explorers and rangers and etc. should work for easy swap.. i worked at a van conversion shop and did upholstery.

Factory seat covers?

I have come to a point where it is time to rebuild the seats or swap them out. Both my front seats have seen better days. I have an 04 xlt with manual seat. Both seats the reclining parts have either broken or the handle broke off. Plus both cushions are shot when someone goes to get out they have slide across the plastic side piece of the seat. My girl has been complaining about it so I think it is time. If I remember right the rails are a bit angled, I maybe wrong. What kind of seats swap into these trucks with little to no fabrication? Has anyone taken the seats apart and replaced the foam and mechanical parts? I am thinking three routes. Not to sure which route to go. Just weighing my options. I am located in CA Bay Area if someone has something for sale in regards to the seats.
Hey Russell - I am also in the North Bay - years ago I switched out the stock cloth seats for some leather all electric seats out of an explorer at pic and pull in Windsor - no mods - direct bolt in - of course these vehicles are getting old so it may be difficult to find usable seats that fit now - I am also thinking about rebuilding the leather seats as they are now pretty worn as well