Seat warmers draining battery?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
In the seven years that I've owned my Trac, I've experienced the occassional hard start. It comes and goes and I suspected that either the battery, alternator, or fuel pump, could be the cause. Several days ago I started getting hard starts again. I was even letting the fuel pump finish cycling before cranking, but the hard starting persisted. I was beggining to worry that something expensive was failing since I just replaced the battery this new year (delearship replaced it for free since previous Motorcraft died just under 3yrs). I then noticed that the passenger side seat warmer was on. Well, it was more of a hunch to check if it was on since there really is no easy indicator of it. Considering that no one has sat there the past few days I assumed it had been left on for a while. So I turned it off and ever since and I did the hard starting has gone away. To test my theory I left my seat warmer on and the next start up was somewhat hard. That's enough proof for me to post this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to scam your post, but I have a seat warmer (duh) question. Rose's driver seat (Ford 500) I can switch on the seat warmer,,, works,,, no problem... BUTT :) when I plant my fat butt in in, it turns off and does not work. I either have a short in my butt or the seat,,, your thoughts. I can't see the cost effectiveness of fixing it. SC doesn't get that cold, besides, summer is here.... Or could it be something simple?

Trac_511,

The module in the seat is bad. There is a timing circuit which turns it off after 15 minutes and is deactivated when the ignition is turned off. Try swapping the modules which are under the seats.

LaRue,

Check for loose connections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trac_511,

What do you mean "Hard to Start"?? If the engine cranks but takes a longer time to start, that may be a weak or leaking fuel pump...even if you let the pump build up pressure before starting.

If they engine cranks very slowly, then that would indicate a low battery charge, a bad connection or excessive resistance. That could be related to the seat warmer staying on, but it would have to be ON when the key is off and I would suspect that would kill your battery overnight, every night. The seat warmers automatically turn off when the key is shut off and should not turn back on until the switch is activated with the key on. Perhaps you have a defective switch that is sticking in the on position and activates as soon as you turn the key on?

I do know that the seat warmer switch is located in a position were it is easily bumped and gets turned on by accident...If that is what's happening, perhaps some kind of shield around the switch would prevent accidental seat warmer activation?

...Rich

I had to hold the key in the 'ON' position for a little bit longer before the engine turned over.

To clarify, the seats don't stay heated after I turn the key off, but after the next start-up the seat warmers will come on again.

The switches are probably getting toggled inadvertently during ingress and egress.

Haha, I remember that meet. Thanks for the memories Paul...

Latest posts