Second USB Port In SYNC Module

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad B

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Didn't know if everyone with a SYNC module knew that there is a second usb port. If interested I'll give more info.

I happen to have heard about this at the dealership a week ago. You could install a 30 GB HDD and leave it in the glove box.

Tom

The module in under the console storage area. If you open the storage lid, you'll see an indentation on the passenger side-that's where it is. You need a cable with a mini-B end to plug into the module. You can verify that there is a usb2 port through sync commands. Can't remember the exact sequence, but it's a media connection, then ask for "usb2". It will say there is no usb2 device. I ran a cable to the glove box, but my external hard drive would not power up for some reason, yet it works in the console connection. My Ipod just happens to be one of the 2 that need a special cable for sync. My son's itouch and every flash drive I've tried seem to work. The trick is to get the playlists on the drive properly. In any case, I have pictures of the whole teardown and sync module. Not really a difficult project if you know how to take the console apart. I could probably put together a project to show how it's done, just might take me awhile to figure out how to put info on the pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
I put the power point slides in my library. Seems they are out of order, but they're numbered. I also have a pdf file that includes all the information, but I can only upload jpeg. If you want it, let me know. Any questions, just ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts