Seeking Mechanical Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Homar

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Was recently stuck in deep mud. Winched the truck out. Now stuck in FWD LOW. Any ideas what is wrong and how to repair it? Thanks. merlin

Had a similar problem when my brother in law slid into a ditch with my ST, put it in Neutral, press the brake, and then turn the 4WD selector to 2WD. Have to be in Neutral to go from/to 4WD LOW, won't work on the fly like you can for 4WD HI. Hope this helps.

I appreciate the tip. Will try that as soon as I reassemble the brakes. Am in the process of replacing all pads and rotors. While I have the truck up on stands is there anything underneath the truck i can check that is a part of the shifting system that could also be related to this problem?

Mine no longer shifts into 4H on the fly either. I have to go into N to shift into 4H, 4L, or back into 2WD. I never got stuck or anything, but I think it was driven in 4x4 too fast, too far once as I noticed once while driving it after my wife that it was switched to 4L but was not in 4x4. Pretty sure my daughter did it while playing in the truck and it was driven in 4x4 by my wife. Hope you can get yours to start shifting around though! Sorry I cant be of help.

While you have it up on the stands, just check and make sure the wire harness is still connected to the transfer case...shouldn't have come loose but might want to check just to make sure.

Latest posts