Selling a motorcycle...test drive advice

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark B

Reaction score
I'm going to try and sell my street bike. I've not tried to sell a bike before and am a little uneasy about handing the keys to anybody that answers the ad. Any advice??

Should I take them to an empty parking lot for the test drive?

Should I let someone drive that doesn't have a cycle endorsement on their license?

Should I make them sign some kind of release or assumption of responsibility?

Should I lighten up and just hand over the keys?

Looking for some sage advice. Oh, yeah and thanks in advance.

No test pilots. If they are serious bike riders , they will usually not ask for a test ride, they know what they want. Would you let someone without a drivers license take your car out(retorical question,not aimed at the author.),on a bike......NOT. If they want to take a ride , a biga$$ deposit is required, say.... full price

Only if the person can show proof that he has a motorcycle licence and proof of insurance!

Also take his licence while he is test ridding.

Might also want him to sign a "wavier"!

Good Selling!!!:D

I agree with the other guys. All he needs to see is that it runs. Start it up for him and maybe you ride it up and down the street for him to show him what it can do.

I have been riding for years and I have a slightly different view on this. I don't agree that "all he needs to see is that it runs." Would you honestly purchase any used (or even new) vehicle with out test driving it first, I hope not? When I purchase used bikes I have to be able to confirm that the clutch works properly, the transmission shifts smoothly, the brakes work properly and the bike tracks in a straight line (if not possible tweaked frame).

My advice would be:

1. Do not let anyone ride your bike that does not have a current motorcycle endorsement unless they purchase the bike first.

2. Require a significat deposit, at least half the asking price (but that's up to you) and have them sign a waiver that states that they are responsible for any damage caused while test riding the bike.

3. Give them a basic route to take that will allow them to verify the condition of the bike without getting on major roads/freeways.

4. Use your gut instinct, you can usually tell if someone is serious or just looking to take your bike on a joy ride....

i agree with lil red! i just recently sold one of my bikes and the kid didnt even ask to drive it instead i drove it up and down the street to show him that everything worked! even if the person has their moto license that doesnt mean that they are used to driving your kind of bike( there is a HUGE difference between a cruiser and a sport bike)!! but if you do allow them to test drive it definetly get them to sign a waiver and put a deposit down!!

My bike is worth over $11,000. The serious people knew what they wanted before the ever showed up.

I had anyone that wanted to do a test ride show me their endorsement as well as sign a form I put together that stated they carried any resposability while the bike was in their possesion of the test ride, this includes but is not limited to, any tickets, damage and or accidents.

Sold my 1100 Shadow several years back. One guy wanted to test ride. I took his license and gave him the keys. He dropped the bike before he made it out of the driveway after telling me about his years of experience. Cost me three hundred dollars. Guess you could say I agree with the previous posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't really matter if they have insurance or not. If he runs over a kid or smacks a car, the owner of the bike will ultimately be responsible...usually. Every state is different. I have sold 4 used bikes. No test ride on any of them. Nobody complained. You cant go and test drive new motorcylces around here anymore.

Don't trust anybody! If it's them or you that has to pay...they will always choose you.

Dwain

I am not a biker, but it seems to me that asking for a test drive is a reasonable thing. However, I can see both sides of the debate.

What about this as a compromise: Offer them a 3 day (or shorter) return policy with a return charge of say $100 (or maybe 5%). Many dealers are doing this now. That way they drive it once they have paid for it, Then within 3 days they can return it in original condition if they don't like the ride (or for some other reason) and you take it back and keep the return charge.

TJR

You're asking for advice (experience),

Motorcycles are not cars, any baffoon can manage to steer a car around a parking lot, motorcycles take depth perception and a minimum amount of equilibrioception.

The standard practice for test pilots is "NO".

You have FAR MORE to lose by allowing someone whose motorcycle riding skillset is totally unknown to you!!

I have bought three new motorcycles, without even hearing them run. That's the way it is.

You can start it and run it up and down the street yourself, but that is as far as I would go. The 'test runs' can take place after the money is in your hands, the title has been signed over, and you have signed a bill of sale. This is not at all being hard or unreasonable but it is realistic.

When I bought my bike I wanted to test ride because I got screwed on my first bike purchase (bad second gear always popped out and ended up costing me $1500 to fix) so for my second one I told the guy.

I'm ready to buy your bike. Here is the cash, I want 15 minutes to decide if I want it or not. It will either be a sale or returned in the exact condition you gave it to me. He said fine and off I went. Had no problems so when I came back he signed the title.

Sounds like you, I and chops are saying the same thing, JDB. Make the buyer actually pony up the money and be willing to take the bike back if they don't like the ride. The only difference between what we are saying is the "return policy"...

I like the idea of offering a return policy. I would probably give 24 hours and up to, say, 100-150 miles max, with maybe a $50-100 return charge.

I would hold off on signing the title until after the 24 hrs, because if he (or she) brings it back, you would have to wait for him/her to title it in their name so they could turn around and sign it back to you.

I would probably get some sort of bill of sale that includes wording about the return (in the same condition), and then sign the title over after the waiting period. It would be a lot of a hassle, but that would be the conditions for a "test drive". If they don't like it, they can buy it as is or you can wait for someone else.

And, of course, no one would be driving it without a motorcycle endorsement.

NO offense, but HELLO! There is a huge difference in having purchased "3 New bikes without even hearing them run", and purchaseng a used bike where there is NO warranty and NO history. I wish I would purchase any kind vehicle over $2K without being able to test drive it first, please.

I would agree that offering a 24Hr return policy is a good idea and it should satisfy both parties. But, I would do it for no less than $100. I would definately not sign the title over until after the 24 hr period. Most importantly, what ever you decide to do, PUT IT IN WRITNG.

Finally got an ad in the paper. I bought a 14-day ad and it sold the first day. A 64 year old gentleman lost his Nighthawk in our November tornado and wanted a replacement.

He did ask for a test ride and my 'gut' said he was okay. Definitely, helped make the sale but it was a nervous few minutes.

Four days later and he was my only call.:rolleyes: Anyway, thanks for the advice. MB

Last edited by a moderator: