selling ST...what's a fair price?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc Mulhern

Reaction score
Hi everyone, unfortunately I have to sell my ST. I love the truck and hope to buy another in a few years. The wife and I are expecting our first child in March and I want to cut back on some expenses and the ST is one of them.

I have an 03 XLT 4x4 Silver berch with 22k, I am trying to figure out what would be a decent price to post that will attract interest but not 'give it away' either. The truck is clean and fully loaded (no 6 disc CD or navigation) but full power options with leather. I was thinking of posting it for 21k obo.

I've seen a lot of 03's on line for that much with double the mileage or more.

What are your thoughts?

Marc

I bought my 03 4x4 XLT prem. fully loaded, audio system, side curtian airbags, leather,hardtop bed cover with 29,000 miles for $19,600 at a dealership about 9 months ago.

Edmunds indicates about $17k for private party sale. Get what you can, but don't be suprised if it's not as much as you thought it should be. DO NOT tell anyone that you have to sell the ST to cut expenses. As soon as someone knows you are "hungry", the price goes down, down, down.

In my honest opinion, the price you are asking seems a bit high. I have practically the same ST as you and considered selling mine a few months ago. I was going to settle for $17,500 (I changed my mind because I love it too darn much) which was my pay-off plus a few thousand extra for a down payment on a new F150. I mean, you could get a little less loaded NEW ST off the lot for that much (granted they will not be around in 2006). So maybe stick out that price, but be prepared to settle on a lower offer.

The bottom line is you can only accept what will work out for you. If you are really strapped for money and just flat out need to shift to something a little less expensive, then you might have to do something that sucks and bring down the price. To most of us, our ST's are worth their weight in gold....sadly, a lot of people just see them as an engine, a bunch of metal moving parts, and 4 wheels.

My St is a great vehicle; best I've ever owned and in 40 years of owning, there's been a few. However, my ST, your ST and all the other 300,000 or so are just an engine, a bunch of metal moving parts and 4 wheels. My ST is not any where near worth it's weight in gold; about $25 million. If it were, I'd be filthy rich and could pay people to drive me around in a fleet of ST's.

thanks everyone, it seems like 21 is too high. I don't have to get rid of it that badly, just wanted to lower my current payments. I am also thinking of refinancing the balance.

I think I will put it up for sale and see what kind of bites I get. I figured I would shoot a little high and say negotiable, let someone feel they beat me up but I get what I need. If I could get about 18 for it, I would be happy.

thanks again.

marc

Marc, while the ST retains higher value than an SUV, but less than a real pick up, you may have to consider that almost everyone who knows anything about the STs is waiting for the '07. Price it to move. What are you looking at?

Ed

ed, I think I would be happy if I saw a little above 18 for it. I figured I would shoot a little high and settle lower so everyone was happy. They get a good deal and I get what I would like.

I live just outside of Philly.

Marc

Latest posts