several engine problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Ortiz

Reaction score
well we have a 2002 sport trac with 197,000 miles and we're having a few problems. we havent had the time to have it looked at but plan on doing so soon. First off, we had the transmission replaced with a rebuilt at around 150-160,000 miles because it was slipping & we lost 2nd gear. Before we replaced the tranny, the check fuel light was on and it was runnin 2500rpm at 70mph and 3000 at 80. After the tranny, i noticed major power loss in the higher gears....3rd, 4th & 5th im guessing. When tryin to pass someone on the highway, between 5-6000 rpm the truck barely speeds up. Now today at around 197,000 miles, out of nowhere i get in and drive around and it randomly idles rough at stoplights and sometimes acts like it wants to die. It also has a loud high pitched rattling type noise...timing chain maybe?? I'm going to try and get some video posted up on youtube later that shows all that's goin on

I know you didn't state it, but did it throw a CEL? I had a similar problem when at stop lights and it was a spark plug going bad. What type of plugs do you have in there? Also, you can check/clean the IAC valve and check for the infamous "cracked elbow". The bad plug may cause your other problem also.;)

Plugs ??? Fuel filter ??? Fuel pump ???

Top end High RPM issues are normally Fuel issues..

Todd Z

Latest posts