shakes an rough idle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my st has a really rough idle.. when im sittin at a stop light my whole vehicle shakes. the passenger seat shakes and its got a travel of about 1.5 inches!!! im really aggrivated cuz i just bout it! its a 2005 4.0litre its got 39000 miles and its a 4x4... ive already checked all the vacum hoses and everything looks fine..... please help me....:(

A bad misfire can cause the engine to shake. Is it misfiring? Before you answer that, ask yourself the question "Do I know what a misfire is?"

Tom

shit.. does that mean i may need new wires? its still under warranty from the dealer for another week or so...... BUT its a dodge dealership. and ive owned dodge vehicles before and lets just say that i have little to no faith in their vehicles or service techs....:unsure:

Have you tried tightening the passenger seat??? Seriously though in a town called mechanicsville I bet you can find someone qualified enough to properly diagnose it for about an hours worth of labor. It beats spending 500 bucks and replacing everything that you are gonna read about or be told about here and still have the same problem.

ok so last night i brought out the tools... ok so i took rodgers advice an took a look at the IAC motor. damn that thing was filthy!! so cleaned it as per the instructions on the link that was sent. reassembled the intake and the truck still had the same problem. went an bought a K&N intake. seemed to make the shakin worse...gave the truck more power lol but didnt help with the shakin...and the passenger seat isnt loose.. the WHOLE truck shakes..:wacko:

Like l1tech says, take it somewhere. He was making a joke about thightening the seat.

If you are unable to identify if it is a low idle, misfire, or anything else, you best keep the hood down.

I have 92,000 miles on my Trac and I have NEVER cleaned my IAC valve or motor. Idles perfect.

Saying you have a rough idle tells us nothing. Is it a misfire? Then it could be lugs and wires. Idle too low causing it to lope like it has a big cam, then that could be you IAC valve.

Just guessing on what the problem is like giving an assinine solution like l1tech did. It was a joke ment as such.

"My tire is flat, do you think if I check the engine oil if it will fix the problem?"

If you can not identify what it is doing or not doing, then nobody can help you here. Take it somewhere.

Tom

when i bought my trac in january the idle was'nt great.i changed plugs wires put a new iac moter in cleaned the tb and put a new fuel filter in.seemed to take care of the problem.it was not really that much work.also put a k&n in.

Latest posts