Shaking steering update

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise Hayes 2

Reaction score
Well, I took it to the dealer, they did not find a thing wrong except the tires were not balanced properly,( Firestone). They rebalanced the tires, it is somewhat better, but some of the vibration still exist. The dealer says I may not ever get it all out. Does this sound logical?

NO !!!!!

The truck should not have any steering wheel vibration at all....

Make them do it over and over till they get it right...

Make sure the tire pressure is correct, make sure the tires are not out of round, make sure they don't use rounding on the balancing machine and that they use weights on BOTH sides of the rims.....

Todd Z

This is getting to be a joke. Had tires balanced five times by 3 different shops and the piece of crap still has a vibration, shake. This thing may get traded.

What I would do is bite the bullet (so to speak) and take it to a local shop and have the front end gone over. It could be a bad bearing, CV joint, loose steering componants, etc. Most dealers will do as little as possable to find a problem. Thay have thier little "check-list" from Ford and they stick to it. God forbid one of them think outside the box. Now your local "small garage" mechanic will take the time to figure it out due to the fact that they need your business. They won't charge the enormous fees the dealers do. Might want to give that a shot before folding up camp on the ST.

If it's warranty work you are looking for, then you can talk to the locals and if they find something wrong that's covered under warranty, you can pay them for thier time and take it back to your worthless dealer and tell them what needs to be fixed. May be another way of going around it.;)

Have the tires broken down, spin them 90 to 180 degrees on the rim, re-inflate and re-balance them.

I know you are going nuts and have spent some money. When you are all done, take the receipts to whomever did it wrong and see if they will reimburse you.

They can balance them all day long but if you have a bent rim then you are still gonna feel a vibration even though the tire is balanced. I really think you have a bent rim.

OK, It's Saturday morning so I am taking it to the local tire store and ask them to check for a bent rim. If there is, then what? Is it repairable or do I need to buy another wheel? Sorry for my ignorance, but this is something I know very little about.

If you have a bent rim the only thing that can be done is have it replaced. If you are taking it to the same local tire store that already balanced the tires then IMO you aren't going to accomplish anything as they really should have seen it when they balanced the tires previously