She's all fixed (again!)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkDawn Houlahan

Reaction score
As many long time MYST.com members will know, our Silver Birch '02 is some sort of moron magnet for poor drivers. From a T-bone that took out the whole left side of the cab at five months old to THREE different rear end accidents (none have been our fault!) Dawn's poor ST has really been through a war zone. Luckily nothing has ever been too damaging (nothing on the frame or major structure)...

The last one was last month when a tour bus returning our daughter to school after a chorus show at Disney World made a left turn in front of her school where my wife was parked waiting on them. The right corner of the rear bumper on the bus caught and dragged her ST eight feet, destroying the bed side, bumper cover, tail light, bumper reinforcement, and the LR wheel liner.

All bolt on parts thankfully, and I've replaced the rear cover myself two times prior (not including when we removed all trim for paint when the ST was only two weeks old). The bed side was new for me, but still an easy bolt-on job.

I got the parts at cost through my local Ford dealer that we use at work and it saved us enough money to get our steps painted body color (our ST came without steps and friend gave us his, but they were the stock gray), add the black step pads to them, and get some new carbon fiber taillights. I think she's as good as new, AGAIN!

Damage from bus, note I had the tie wraped bumper cover to keep it from flopping around until we got the insurance money. The painted steps are already in place here too.

[Broken External Image]:

Here's the completed work, about six hours in the front yard with a little help from my 14 year old son.

[Broken External Image]:

And finally, a nice direct shot of the new bed side. Paint was matched with a color spectrometer using the fuel door, which I removed and sent to the painter along with the new parts (you can see it missing in the first shot).

[Broken External Image]:

Here's hoping I don't have to replace anything else for a long time (yeah right, it's the curse of the Silver Birch, who am I kidding!):p

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Was wondering why the gas door was missing in the 1st pic. Now I know why. Good idea for the color match.

Looks good..just keep the rubber side down...lol...

Looks Good,

Todd Z

Wow no wonder i haven't seen many post from ya lately....

Good to se you and Dawn back, after all the troubles "Silver Bich " has givin you.

rob

Hey guys...

Thanks for the nice words...

Hey Rob, sorry I've been AWOL for a while. I've moved up in the publishing world and I'm busier than ever. Plus, I'm currently building a Cobra replica and it's been taking up my limited remaining time.

Last Saturday was the first time I drove my '66 Mustang in almost two months with travel and other work...

Mark

Good job. I am beginning to think my '05 is also magnetized. I have been rear-ended twice in the 17 months that I have had it. First by a Toyota that was hit by an F-250 and then by a post ;);)

Looks great! It's great that you fixed it up yourself. The carbon taillights really look good with silver/black theme of the truck.

Looks awesome:cool:. Let me ask you.....did you paint the the bumpers,trim or did you have a professional paint it for you? Because it looks really good.:cool:

George T.

George T...

The lower trim, front bumper cover and rear bumper cover were painted off of the truck when it was two weeks old. Since that time we've gone through three rear bumper covers, one new front cover, and a left rear lower trim section. All new parts were painted at the same shop at different times and they have an excellent color match. The right side lower trim is all original with paint on it from time of purchase (minus two weeks) and it has held up perfectly with no cracking or flaking...

Someday I'd like to pull the window felts and paint the B-pillar body color like the '03s.

Gavin, either a line of fire or one of those new bright LED third brake lights. SOMETHING to make them snap out of their cell phone daze while driving! :rolleyes:

Mark