Shifts flawlessly until warm, then UGH ...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Friends, back again with my 2001 Sport trac - it shifts perfectly when cold, but once warmed up, shifting from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd are very lumpy and jerky. Can prevent jerk if let off the gas during then shift ... continues getting worse and worse as it heats up.

Any thoughts? Thanks. Up on stands now - ready to pull the pan. Not very many YT vids to watch. 5r55e tranny 4WD truck.

Attachments

• level-sporttrac.jpg
    level-sporttrac.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 4
...2001 Sport trac
...shifts perfectly when cold
...warmed up, shifting from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd are very lumpy and jerky
...Can prevent jerk if let off the gas during then shift
...worse as it heats up
Would try these remedies in order listed:
* Insure Trans MerconV ATF Level is proper; recommend RedLine#HighTemp\30205 or AmsOil#ssmv\atf1g
* ATF Refresh, recommend every 4kMiles\6Mths: HandPump 1qt old ATF from TransDipTube, 1qt new MerconV;
drive 10+ miles see if improves, repeat 2 times
* HandPump 1qt old ATF from TransDipTube, add 1qt of LucasTransmissionFix\LTF (high viscosity ATF);
drive 10+ miles see if improves
* Full Trans Service, recommend every 33kMiles\4Yrs: Drop Pan, Remove Old Filter, Retorq ValveBodyBolts, New Filter & PanGasket & 5~7qt MerconV, Band Adjust
* Trans ValveBody\VB Rebuild: New VB BondedGasket & Solenoids & ReverseServoGasket+ORings & ShiftKit
* Full Trans Rebuild\Replace

Well, I've gotten this far - neither gasket blown out ... I'll put her back together with new gaskets, re-torque all, and new filter - re-torque bands.

Question, should I go ahead and have vbody rebuilt/check solenoids while I'm this far in? Don't know the cost yet.

Attachments

• trans1.jpg
    trans1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 0
  • trans2.jpg
    trans2.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 0
  • trans3.jpg
    trans3.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 0
  • trans5.jpg
    trans5.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 0
  • trans4.jpg
    trans4.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 0
  • trans6.jpg
    trans6.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 0
Did you use an OBD2 Scanner to get the active TroubleCodes?
That will help you narrow down the specific cause,
less of a WildAssGuess\WAG compared to randomly throwing parts+money+time at the problem.
Now that you've got the ValveBody out, may still be able to turn IgnitionKey to ON (not START !!!),
then read the TroubleCodes stored in the PCM.
Do need a Scanner that reads both StandardSAE & ProprietaryFORD data;
many older cheaper scanners, like some that are free to use at part stores,
only read a basic abreviated list of StandardSAE TroubleCodes, not including Tranny data.

REVERSE SERVO COVER GASKET has a small blowout ...

Attachments

• reverseservogasket.jpg
    reverseservogasket.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 0
took solenoid ohm readings - EPC is at upper limit ...

Attachments

• 20230930_133351.jpg
    20230930_133351.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 0
REVERSE SERVO COVER GASKET has a small blowout ...
took solenoid ohm readings - EPC is at upper limit ...
Appears you're doing a thorough ValveBody work up, finding the problems.
Do keep us updated on what else you find & end results.

Alrighty, here's an update - decided to just get a rebuilt valvebody since it didn't have Sonnax updates that I could determine. Was about the same after the core charge as just replacing the solenoids and such. Used https://www.wittrans.com/ Whatever it takes transmissions.

Arrives tomorrow. We'll see! More to come.

Ok, new VB arrived - installed and torqued. Pan on, torqued to specs! New Mercon V arrives Sunday ... I know, I know, I should have just went to the store lol - Core ready for return to WITs Trannys.

Hoping I didn't miss anything!

Bands adjustment next! Have to figure this out though as the cable is in the way sort of ...

Attachments

• newvalvebody.jpg
    newvalvebody.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 0
  • trannypanon.jpg
    trannypanon.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 0
  • corereturn.jpg
    corereturn.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 0
When I did the valve body on mine, I was glad I replaced the solenoid pack at the same time. Figured at the time it was just under $300 and at least I had to take the pan down just once. Hopefully it works perfect when you get the fluid. I just went to Walmart for the mercon v

Ok, kids - how in the heck to you access the area to adjust the tranny bands? Geeze ... take off the 4WD drive bar and shift linkages? What a pain in the arse. Can't find a video on this.

Ok, took almost 8 quarts of Mercon V - shifting flawlessly and so quietly so far!! Gonna take to shop and have bands torqued by a pro since I don't have the tools for that small area! I hope this works long term!!

Well, drove great for a little while - Check engine light and Overdrive light flashing ... stopped by AAMCO and they pulled a P0715 code. Looks like it is a speed sensor ...

Latest posts