shocks intall question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timothy Noble

Reaction score
I finally got around to replacing the shocks. Went with the RSX shocks. Install went smooth, but on the interstate when i took an onramp or exit ramp (pretty much any turn or curve above 65mph) the trac started to shake and shimmy until I slowed down. Is this a shock install problem that I am over looking. All bolts are secured properly. Just wondering if any body else has ran accross this.

Shock installation is straight forward as far as I know. I installed Monroe Reflexes which are the same as the RSX from what I read around here. Never had an issue like you described other than on really bad roads. Even then, no significant shimmying.

Are you familiar with those exit/on ramps? Are they normally smooth on the ride? As far as the shocks, verify part numbers for 4x2, 4x4, and front and rears.

Driven the ramps many times. The whole truck bouncing all over the place is not normal at all. And also there is no part number difference between the 4X2 and 4X4. Plus there is no way to put the fronts on the rears and vice versa.

On certain shocks the 4X2 and 4x4 are different.....

What you may be feeling is called "road Feel" this can be caused by the shocks being too stiff. Rancho shocks are know for stiffer harsher rides...

You may not have felt that with the old soft OEM shocks......

Did you prime the shocks before you installed them by compressing them a couple of times?

They may have to brake in....

Todd Z