Sideview mirror replacement (How To)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very few OEM Mirrors are designed to allow just the mirror to be replaced.

In a few cases I have been able to break the mirror (glass) out of the holder it sits in. Then cut a piece of paper that fits in the holder perfectly. Take the paper to a glass cutter/supplier as the all stock mirror glass. Have them cut a mirror for you.

Be sure you mark the top or front side as if it gets turned over your mirror will be backwards and you will be looking at the back side of the reflective material.

Install it with silicone. Wrap rubber bands around the entire mirror assembly. If the rubber bands do nit sit right on the mirror to hold it in place ball up some rags so the rubber bands have some pressure against the mirror to hold it in until it dries, (cures).

All else fails. I have new available for $85.00 and used for $80.00. Not much difference right now. The $80.00 price on the used is only good until the next two mirrors sell. After that, the used price will be close to $95.00 until stock gets replenished.

Have three in stock of the new at the $85.00 price.

Good luck....

Go to your local glass shop that also does auto glass and they should be able to get a replacement for you and it should,nt cost any more then $30.00 installed. The industry started making these about 2 or 3 years ago

I had no luck on this when my 04 was just a month old. If just the glass is cracked you should be okay. I had a small plastic part inside broken, were talking small, and it was enough to basically make the mirror non repairable. $285 Canadain later I had a new mirror.

As previously stated, if it's only the glass that is broken then any good auto glass shop should be able to replace the mirror glass at a reasonable price.

However if some of the mechanical parts behind the glass have been broken, you will need to get a replacement mirror.

If you can get the glass out, you can often find precut replacement mirror glass for a limited number of vehicles at some auto parts stores. If you look for Eplorer mirror replacements, you may get lucky and they will fit, but I doublt that you will find any labled specifically or the Sport Trac.

...Rich

Not sure which side you are looking for, but just the glass portion is available on ebay. Here is one for $20 + $4.05 s/h.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXPLORER-SPORT-TRAC-SIDE-REPLACEMENT-MIRROR-GLASS-01-04_W0QQitemZ8016970851QQcategoryZ33649QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXPLORER-SPORT-TRAC-SIDE-REPLACEMENT-MIRROR-GLASS-01-04_W0QQitemZ8016970851QQcategoryZ33649QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting</a>

It looks like prices have gone up on the entire side mirror assembly. A few years ago I was able to pick a passenger side mirror assembly (housing and motor) for about $28 +$12s/h off of ebay. Now it seems you can't get them for less than $59.

Good luck.

In reference to Gary D's post,

I have the Muth Signal Mirrors on my Trac (non-heated, as I did not want separate switches on the dash or console for the heat power). The kit includes glass only and wiring. You carefully remove the extsting glass, remove the pins from the back, install them on the signal mirror, run the wiring through the housing, door, and front interior panel, and tap into the turn signal wiring running beneath the moulding by the front seats. Rinse and repeat for the other side.

Personally, they're one of my favorite mods. They add a bit of luxury-class to the Trac. :)

See the link below for a watered-down how-to. It will take about 2-3 hours to do the install. Also, the placement of the LEDs in the video has changed. They are more centered to the left of the mirror, as opposed to what looks like the very bottom left in the video. If you have seen a GM vehicle with these, they also use Muth's product, except as a factory option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work at a glass shop and we replace side mirrors all the time. Let a local dealer look at your mirror so they can order the correct one.

Latest posts