Sirius in Iraq

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanda Kenton

Reaction score
My sister is getting ready to be deployed to Iraq. She will be based at Balad Air Force Base. I was thinking of adding a Sirius radio to my account and sending her with a Stiletto.

But I am not sure if there is a signal in Balad or not.

Anyone know how I can find out? I emailed Sirius, and I am waiting on a reply from them. I've tried doing a look-up, but I can't find what I am looking for.

Only works in the US and Canada. At least thats what my buddy told me who was deployed there twice, but he hasn't been there in over a year. I'd imagine that it didn't change though.

Hey Matt, since you are there now, you would know good stuff to send.

What all can I send her that would be really useful...

Stuff that is really welcomed over there.

AND THANK YOU, MATT, FOR SERVING!!!

It's only available in the US and CA because the satellites are in a geosynchronous orbit over North America. The footprint probably only extends about 100 miles or so beyond the coast. Much like USN ships can only pick up a DirectTV signal only if they're underway within 100 miles of the North American coast. We experienced this while I was stationed aboard USS Wasp LHD-1, and USS Enterprise CVN-65.

Latest posts