small SUV crash test results

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary s

Reaction score
this is for a side frontal hit at 40 mph into a 5 foot fixed object (simulate a tree or pole).

for what its worth.......

Realize that these are Insurance Industry Group sponsored crash testing...so there is an agenda behind all their tests, and it's not safety. Their agenda appears to be to raise insurance rates for any vehicle that does not meet their discretionary standards.

NHTSA and the auto makers also do crash testing and ratings, but the Insurance Industry Group often does not agree with NHTSA or the Auto Makers results.

This is the same reason why Insurance companies charge you more for Insurance if you have any speeding tickets, when a 3 year NHTSA study showed that only 5% of all traffic accidents were caused by excessive speed.

The main cause of accidents in the US is driver distractions, like Texting, Cellphones, changing the radio station or looking at their GPS systems. If the Insurance Industry Group was really trying to promote safety, they would charge more for people who had cellphones, radios and GPS units in their vehicles.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
All our advances in high-tech materials, metallurgy and the like and we still can't make a modern car that doesn't look like it is exploding on such an impact? I hesitate to believe that.

If that's a crash at 40 mph then I'd hate to see an impact at 80 mph as I could imagine the car disintegrating.

The worst part IMO is that the picture headlining the linked article is for a car that passed the testing!

KL,

The parts you see exploding off of a car when it hits something is just what is saving lives. The parts are designed to disintegrate as they are absorbing the energy of the impact to prevent the destruction of the passenger compartment.

...Rich