Smelling anitfreeze, looks like it's coming from the T-stat housing...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Hampton

Reaction score
Called my Ford Tech buddy, he said I probably need a new housing, I think he's right, it doesn't look like it's coming from the split between the upper and lower, it looks like it's just coming from the lower. He said the easiest way to do it is to remove the upper intake manifold, recommended replacing the intake manifold gaskets anyway as they have a tendancy to leak, he said to do the upper and lower intakes (o-rings and spacer) and to be carefull not to snap a bolt off in the intake when removing the T-stat housing so it looks like a new project to write up is coming soon. It's just a seep right now.

did mine the other day. replaced upper and lower t-stat housing as well as the thermostat itself. if ya get stuck on anything i might be able to give ya some pointers. let me know

Though it may not be a bad idea to do the intake gaskets, I am pretty sure it is not a requirement to do so when replacing the t-stat housing (upper or lower).

Coastiejoe, No, it's not a requirement, more of a piece of mind thing for me, and since I'm already there and it would assist in installing the T-stat housing.

Uttaylorw, I'm assuming you had to get your parts from the dealer, what was the costs?

you do not need to remove the intake to do it... Just need a good 1/4 swivel..

Todd Z

got upper and lower t-stat housing from ford dealer. upper was like 16 somethin i think and lower was around 68-70 with tax. Got thermostat at Autozone for like 19. anddd if i were you i would get new o-rings Larry. One for the t-stat and theres one on the bottom of the lower thermostat housing. I replaced both cauz mine looked like crap. Inexpensive and can get both at Autozone. Make sure u get the right size though. They gave me the wrong size for the thermostat. Its quite larger than the o-ring for the lower t-stat housing. and yeah todd is right i had to stop and finish next day cauz i needed a 1/4 swivel.

There is no single intake gasket, there are six individual O-rings. One for each port. Depending on mileage, I doubt they need to be changed. Moreover, you don't need to remove or loosen the intake to change the parts. It would make the process easier but is not necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI if you don't do it yourself you're looking @ between $340 - $365 w/tax to have it done, recently had it done on our 2001 [@128k miles] & the 2005 [@145k miles]. both blew going down the highway & were towed, but had towing insurance on both.

Latest posts