So who owes me money? Go SEC!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LSU said:
Really?

Most college football fans "seem to never have left grade school" is an "accurate observation", not an insult?

If you are going to quote me, please do it properly. I said "MANY", not "MOST".

And I am not going to get into specifics about this thread or point a finger...it is NEVER my intent to insult or make things personal on this board. Anyone that feels the need to call names and throw insults all in the name of "good sports fun" seems odd to me, that's all.

Sorry if I bent you out of shape, LSU. And if I have called names or acted infantile here or before on this board then I am sorry for that (and I know the pic from the library you are talking about...yeah, I find it an appropriate though crude pic for posting to threads that are rather dumb.)

Bill V, thanks for sticking up for me. I wasn't trying to pick a fight...just doing what I often do here, hold up a mirror to those behaving badly...and some don't seem to like it.

Later,

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Direct quote from Chris Peterson (head coach at Boise State) after being asked who should be 1st?

Florida is. Last night they would have beat any team in this country.

He ranks Florida - 1, LSU - 2, Ohio State - 3, Boise State - 4. That is how HE ranked his team.

Oh, and since I think LSU will get ranked 3rd, that means Auburn beat the #1 and #3 teams.

DON'T be a sore LOOOOOOO-ZAH...just take your lumps like a REAL man, and congratulate the BETTER team on their overpowering domination of the fifth-best college football team in the country.

You Southerners are so easily rattled. I did the same thing with the fellas on the Explorer Forum. All I can picture is a Steve Spurrier-like high-pitched, 250-word-per-minute diatribe levied my way. Relax, Deputy Fife. :)

In all honesty, the SEC probably was the strongest this year. Last year, the conferences ranked the Big Ten #2 and the SEC #7 based on all of the schools' performances. It fluctuates, sort of like seasonal temperatures. Anyone remember when the Big 12 was "the" conference? You know, back when A&M was a threat? The SEC could be going the way of the Pac 10, as the Pac 10 (despite USC) slowly falls back in line with other conferences. God forbid, gasp, that the Big East will be the next "big thing." They were, of course, 3-0 in their bowl games. And, imagine if the WAC gets its act together. Boise State is a given, of course. But in the past, we easily forget about San Jose State's near defeat of USC last year, Hawaii's high-flying offense (Colt Brennan made Tommy Chang look like a nobody), and Nevada's often-fluctuating but nevertheless worrisome style of play.

In the future, I would not doubt if no conference is "the" conference. Has anyone noticed the parity in college athletics? Boise State is a good example. And don't forget George Mason's NCAA basketball run last year. Gonzaga went from outsider, to bubble, to 16th, to what it is now. The athletes are getting better. There's a reason Notre Dame is not as dominant a force as it was, say, from 1988-1994 (and, of course, throughout history). Times are a'changing.

As far as I am concerned, I care about one team and one only: Dear Old State. We don't accept ju-co transfers, and we almost never accept prep school (not high school prep school, but those one year prep schools before college) kids. If you don't have the grades to get into the University, you don't play. One fella, who I went to high school with and played soccer with, was highly recruited as a kicker by Penn State (as well as other Big 10 teams, and made ESPN in high school for some insane 67 yard field goal). Upon seeing his grades, PSU waved buh-bye. Maybe the Big Ten has trouble counting to ten (in reality, they can count to eleven), but Penn State has always has been among the highest graduation rated programs in the NCAA. Penn State senior starting tackle Ed Johnson violated team policy, and Joe make him sit out of his last game (the Outback Bowl, nonetheless). Joe's suspended fellas for games, kicked them off the team, etc. Say what you want about Joe, his lack of person skills, etc., he is a mentor first, teacher second, and coach third. And he always acts with integrity. And his players show it. Do you ever see a PSU guy celebrate a touchdown? Never. The ball is handed to the referee, perhaps a high five or jump high five, and they're off the field. Look at Larry Johnson today -- when he scores, other than the change in colors, nothing has changed. I absolutely am a product of that which I grew up watching, and graduating from -- I like my football with a little silent dignity (don't get me started on some NCAA schools and the NFC, where players act like they saved the world after making a tackle on a three yard rush).

I cannot speak for Florida, other than the stories that have passed to me. I personally can speak for Florida schools in general (and perhaps you're right -- Florida could be the exception) -- their players are often dirty, thuggish brutes who it seems were recruited from the jails more than the high schools. At the Orange Bowl last year, I personally saw more dirty play from Bowden's FSU than I ever did from any Big Ten school. And, no one needs to say anything more than Miami and Florida<

Adam,

Considering some of the earlier nonsense that bypassed your brain and escaped out of your fingers onto the keyboard, that was a VERY respectful and mostly well-thought-out response.

But I do still take issue with a few of your lesser-informed points.

To wit...

---The "You Southerners"/"Barney Fife" references...in case you can't tell from the handle, I am STILL considered a "Damn Yankee" in these here parts.

---RE:"I personally can speak for Florida schools in general...": With your apparent complete and total ignorance of anything south of University Park, what gives YOU the right to say ANYTHING about "Florida schools in general"? That would be like me saying that Big(we-can-only-count-to)10 schools ALL cheat because "The Sweater-Vest" runs the dirtiest program since the Southwest Conference disbanded. PLEASE do NOT lump THE University of Florida--one of the most well-respected and HIGHLY rated public institutions in the country--in a generic and TOTALLY innacurate grouping with "Florida schools in general."

The thuggery and fighting incidents which you try to portray as commonplace at "Florida schools" has NEVER been acceptable at UF. Off-the-field incidents were one of the primary reasons that Zook was relieved of his duties (well...I mean, besides the fact that he couldn't coach). Urban Meyer, in his short tenure here, has demonstrated the RIGHT way to build a program---in fact, his methods and beliefs (stressing discipline and ACCOUNTABILITY) are surprisingly similar to JoePa's (and maybe you're right on another point, that we're NOT so different as you might try to make us out to be).

---And finally...as much as you might like to, you can NOT pick and choose which scores should count. :rolleyes: If we could do that, then tOSU only scored SEVEN points last night...since a Buckeye BLATANTLY held and pulled a Gator tackler immediately in front of Ginn, which opened the hole for his "I-don't-think-it-should-count-as-a-"TD return.

And now, I'll git back ta drankin' mah corn squeezin's and datin' mah cousin...:D

Oh...and:

GO GATORS!!!

Considering some of the earlier nonsense that bypassed your brain and escaped out of your fingers onto the keyboard

Unnecessary. I apologize for pointing out the Big Ten took 2/3 from the SEC, and that I doubt the longevity of the SEC's "dominance." As for the post-game interviews, I still contend that Florida could have chosen two more eloquent (being gentle) speakers. And as for Florida's reputation, I'll take your word for it. But I still plan on checking with some folks in PBC to see what they think. :)

With your apparent complete and total ignorance of anything south of University Park

Sir, with all due respect, you do not know where I have and have not been. I've been to West Palm Beach so often I should receive a tax bill. As for the right to comment on Florida schools, I was at last year's Orange Bowl and saw personally, from section 2, row 28, seat 2, the crap that comes out of Florida State. I also experienced their *fantastic* tailgaters. I may not have a basement in Florida, but I've stood on its dirt often enough. As I mentioned previously, perhaps U. of F. is not part of that group, and mindful that you say it isn't, that is undoubtedly for the best. It's good to see Meyer brought class with him (or resurrected the class that U. of F. always had). I simply cannot stand when folks speak of Bowden in the same sentence as Paterno. Bowden may have a handful more wins, but his program (though this may have decreased as NCAA oversight increased) is dirty. Miami goes without saying. I reasonably concluded, previously, that UCF was as clean as Florida universities got...

I do find this funny, though, because you mention that Florida is "HIGHLY" rated. Take a look at the U.S. News Report for 2007 and see who shares the numeric ranking. It looks like we both can only count to ten. And, due in part to PSU's geographic location, cousin-datin' may be more prevalent than the South thinks. For better or worse, I am afraid to say that folks out in the sticks probably share the proclivity for cousins with those good ole boys and gals down there. :D

you can NOT pick and choose which scores should count.

I'll be sure to keep that in mind. :huh: It was in the middle of an analysis of OSU's strength, pointing out that there were chinks in its armor that were not apparent looking only at final scores. What I should have said was that OSU's offense managed only 14 points against PSU, despite having a Heisman winner, Teddy Ginn, Gonzales, etc. In Florida's case, Florida had the offense Penn State lacked, and played defense at the same intensity. It, too, held OSU to minimal (eh, let's be honest - no... 86 yards??? wow) offense, and used its own offense to pound OSU's defense into the ground.

It's apparent you bleed orange and blue. I bleed blue and white. But...

I'd rather live in a Happy Valley...

than smell like a Swamp...

:D

[I'm almost out of banter... I spent a considerable amount of time ribbing a classmate who went to U. of F. before coming to law school. Perhaps it's not Southerners, but Gators who get riled up in defense. I do for PSU, no doubt. Trust me, I mean no malice. I do, however, enjoy thoroughly a good argument. And maybe a little button-pushing to keep that argument going... :lol: Like I mentioned waaay earlier, I did the same with some fellas on the Explorer Forum. But, those other SEC schools don't take it as personally. Bums.]

What would you call a gator surrounded by 100 lions?

Smorgasbord :D

Now let me see if I follow you on this: You're actually accepting that UF is a respected school because it was ranked as an equal to your alma mater?

OK...I'll buy that...

But as for comparing Florida to FreeShoeUniversity...now THAT'S where I draw the line! My best friend actually admits to graduating from FSU...and he won't even GO to a game in Tallahassee, because of all the [stuff] that goes on there. My seats in the Swamp used to be in the first row in front of the opposing team's section. But after they had to clear the ENTIRE row behind us during the FSU game (because of all the [stuff] they were starting, we had our seats changed.

But if you ever get a chance to come see a game in the Swamp, I think you'd really be pleasantly surprised...

Now as far as where I've chosen to live:

And I'd rather rake leaves in January, then take a dip in the pool...

than shovel snow in April!:D

When I was in college, and single, I always preferred those first two weeks in the fall semester, and last two in the spring. The quads were alive with tanning gals. I can't imagine having that all year round. And beaches.

I did thoroughly enjoy wearing shorts and a tee at the Orange Bowl. Especially considering I was in layers and rain poncho for the Ohio State game... :D

Latest posts