Solution to the shaky steering

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise Hayes 2

Reaction score
Well, after having a restless night and waking often to have this truck driving me nuts. I decided I would head to the local tire shop once more and asked them to check fot a bent rim. They put the tires on the Hunter balancer and didn't find a bent wheel, but there was some wobble to some of the tires, so they told me to take it back to Firestone and tell them what they had found. So I walk in to Firestone and told them that the problem still exist and they immediately said , well you have a bent rim or something is wrong with your front end, it is not the tires, because we took 4 tires off and replaced them with 4 more tires, so we know it;\'s not the tires. I told them I wanted it found and fixed, because it's not right. So they drove it and came back and said we couldn't feel anything abnormal. I am not crazy, so they decided to take them off and start looking for my bent rim or front end problem, so I went to run an errand and when I came back I went in and asked them if they found a bent rim and they said no, but we did find that it is the tires. Three of those Bridgestone Alenza's are bad. Tah Dah!!!!! Jackpot!!!!!! Couldn't find any of them locally, so they have ordered 8 tires and said surely out of those 8 tires they can get it right. Thanx for all of your input and support..

Cool, Glad it will be fixed !!!!

Todd Z

My next set I buy will be Cooper's or Michelin. That's if I ever wear these out. They keep replacing them every 2 months, they may never be on long enough to wear out. Lol !!!!

My first set of new tires were 4 Goodyear Eagles I purchased at a discount type of tire shop. For the next due rotation and balance I went to a local Goodyear shop. They came and got me out of the waiting room and told me one of the tires was so out of round or what ever you want to call it that it couldn't be balanced correctly. They replaced it free no questions asked under the Goodyear tire warranty as it was defective. It would have never occurred to me that a brand new tire could be defective like that.

Glad to see your problem is going to be fixed. FYI, I have had the Alenza's on our ST for just over 3-1/2 yrs. now. I rotate them every 3 - 5K, and they still look like they will go another year or two. I keep my eye on TireRack.com for their #1 rated LT all season highway tire; and right now it is the General Grabber HTS.

With all the issues you have had with these specific tires, I would be going after a different brand.

I KNOW you have spent substantial money to get where you are. And I am doubting that they were nice and kind and gave you the money you spent to determine that THEIR product was defective...

Denise,

Any tire manufacuter can let a bad tire slip out the factory door, but what are the odds that you would get 3 of them mounted on your vehicle??? It sounds like they had a batch of bad tires.

That is a shame because I had some good, inexpensife tires from Firestone for a number of that my daughters drove. That lasted until I bought my 2001 Sport Trac and ran smack dab in the middle of the Explorer/Firestone fiasco. The original Firestone tires were terrible. The steering response was very slow and required constant correct, especiall in long sweeping high speed curves...the vehicle wanted t go in it's own direction.

This does not say anything good about Bridgestone/Firestone tires.

I knew your problem was tire or wheel related since it did change when you moved the front tires to the rear and it improved things a little. Who would have guessed that 3 of the 4 tires were bad !!! No matter how you switched tires around, you would have had at least one bad tire on the front which continued to cause the vibrations..

Anyway, I think it was good that the Firestone store took the time to actually check everything out and pinpoint the bad tires and even admit that 3 of them were bad !! I'm sure they were just a suprised as I am that all those bad tires where on one vehicle.

...Rich