Solved - Blend Door Actuator Not Working When Replaced

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamis

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I purchased a 2008 Sport Trac used from a dealer with 145,000 miles on it. While test driving I heard the clicking noise and was getting no heat. I later figured out it was a blend door actuator on the drivers side. Last year I purchased new actuators off of Amazon and replaced both driver and passenger. Still no heat but I've just lived with it up till now. My daughter is starting to drive the truck and she needs heat so I've been trying to figure it out again. I managed to figure out the self diagnostic and found I am getting the 2266 and 2267 codes which is for both blend doors. I've replaced both blend doors with units on Amazon as the local Ford Dealer said they were out of stock as does the Ford website, apparently these are no longer being made. I still cannot get any heat out of the truck. I have pulled the passenger side blend door and messed with the controls and I see the blend door actuator is not moving at all. I suspect the Drivers side is not moving either.

In my research, I have seen some people mention a re-calibration process. I did try doing that by removing the battery for about a minute and then going through the steps. That didn't seem to do anything but not positive I did the process entirely correct (found several conflicting versions). I am now wondering if the blend doors are on their own separate fuse though I don't see anything obvious in the manual and I have yet to pull every single fuse.

For those that have dealt with the actuators not moving at all if you could answer either of these questions:

1. Does the 2008 require a re-calibration process and is there a website with it written out somewhere specifically for this year and model of truck?
2. Are the actuators on a fuse separate from the Automatic Climate Control system and if so, what is the fuse number?
3. Anything else I could be missing?

Thanks in advance,

Forever Cold.

Welcome to the site.

As the vehicle sits, right now,

Can you select different HVAC modes? Is it stuck in a certain mode?

Does the fan blow air low through high?

You say "no heat", Are you getting hot air in the system?

Yes, I can select different HVAC modes. All of the buttons on the controller work meaning that if I press the button, that setting gets indicated that it is activated. Yes, air does blow and I can control the fan speed no problem.

Yes, there is heat going through the heater core. I can manually turn the blend doors to the heat position and get heat out of the vents.

It's been a while but I am still struggling with this blend door issue not working. I tried to get a Ford OEM blend door but I was told they are no longer available. I've tried purchased two different doors (one linked below, the other I couldn't find a link for so may have been ebay or somewhere else):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DRFNZWH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plug these in and change the settings on the control panel and I get nothing. No movement of the motor at all. I then purchased a second Automatic Climate Control Panel from eBay thinking maybe the issue was the control unit but I get the same results. Nothing moving. I've entered the self test mode on both units and both units are throwing codes off 2266 and 2267. I've tested the voltage on the harness and I am not getting 12v on the harness at the plug end let alone any changes in voltage while changing the settings. I've also tested the voltages on the wiring harness behind the control module and I'm getting the same values as what I get at the plug connector for the blend door. This is on both the original automatic control unit and the one I received on eBay. If there is a wiring diagram or something that shows what voltages I should be seeing, that would help a lot. I've not seem to find anything that was related to my model and year though.

I've read some conflicting information that seems to indicate that clearing the codes and a re-calibration process might be required. I've left the truck battery unplugged for a long time, that didn't work. I've tried clearing the codes in the EATC test mode by hitting the defrost button and that doesn't do anything.

Surely there has to be an obvious answer but I'm missing it. Any other suggestions?

Do you have Manual or auto dials ? the link says Manual only.

I completely missed that it said manual only. If that is indeed my problem, I will be ecstatic to finally find a reason it isn't working. Why in the world though would there be two different types of blend doors?

I'm not 100 on this truck. But for some reason its a big deal.
On newer vehicles there is computer feedback and it uses a sensor to know position.
What gets me is the plugs fit. That's normally a sign of a different application or problem.

I hope that fixes it for you.

Do you by chance know the correct part number? I think I ended up tossing both of my old blend doors because they were not working. I didn't think to save the part number. If not, I am sure I can dig it up somewhere.

Check rockauto.com for the info. Easy look up there

I have never had luck with Amazon part orders. As mentioned rockauto is who I use. Maybe be a new thermostat is needed. They are designed to default to open which doesn't get that warm.

Okay so mystery solved! There are two part numbers depending on whether you have the manual or climate control unit. The Ford part numbers are:

F7DZ19e616ba - Automatic Climate Control
1L2Z19E616CA - Manual Climate Control

The automatic unit (and possibly manual one as well) are no longer available through Ford. The replacement part I was able to find through Oreilly's is

DA1131 for a Murray
604-207 for a Doreman

I purchased the Murray unit from Orielly's here:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ol-8-terminal-blend-door-actuator/mry7/da1131

And I received one Murray DA1131 and one Doreman 604-207. I managed to get both installed (one of the worst jobs I've done on a vehicle). Once installed, I pulled the battery for about 10 minutes to force the re-calibration process (one was clicking after install so it was trying to go past it's stop limit). Once re-calibrated the doors were working beautifully, I finally have heat and AC!

I put together a quick YouTube video for those after me so they hopefully don't have the same struggle as I did.

Thanks for those of you that posted and offered suggestions. I'm glad to have this one finally nailed down.

Your welcome, Glad you got it fixed.

Thanks for the thorough explanation and video. I'm sure I'll have the need to reference it at some point.

Latest posts