Some People

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger Batts

Reaction score
Earlier this week, the pastor of the little church where my wife runs the learning center's only child and three other members of his unit were killed in Afghanistan. I was reading the little blurb that myfoxdfw.com had posted about it today only to find the first comment was somebody his CO, our troops, and the military in general. He went off on a tear that freedom for anybody was not worth the lives of our soldiers, and that we needed a different way to combat terrorism. Almost as an afterthought, after he has insulted this young man's sacrifice, does he express any sympathy for the families of the unit.

Welcome to the Internet - where any idiot can publish their opinions.

I can see where an honest, open dialogue could be useful for some news stories, but news agencies need to close the commenting on stories where someone from the community is involved (in cases like this).

We've had similar problems with our Free Press. For example, a car full of teens crashed on the way to the beach and the driver, an 18 year old girl, was killed. It was a heart-breaking story which came down to the driver's inexperience being the fault of the accident. It didn't stop idiots from logging in and ranting about women drivers, teen drivers, how teens shouldn't be allowed to have friends in the car, accusing the young girl of drinking and driving. It spiraled out of control. The family saw the postings and so did a lot of their friends.

If I were you, I'd hold the news agency accountable for the fact that they allow people to comment on such a sensitive local story.

You can contact them and have commenting disabled and deleted. I've seen that happen with our local Free Press. (FYI)

Just found out last night that Westboro Baptist Kooks will be staging their usual crap for the vistiation and the funeral. One of the biggest issues I have is that my wife runs the Learning Center and Daycare at the church. The visitation is tonight starting at 5:00. The Learning Center closes at 6:00. Dana has made arrangements to keep the kids away from the chapel area when the body arrives, but if WBC stands anywhere near the north side of the building, all the families and children will be exposed to their crap. Fortunately, the Patriot Guard will be posting Riders around the building.

Roger, from what I've read, the Westboro nuts are not allowed very close to the church and are usually placed down the road. Besides, with the Patriot Guards, you will have no problem.

Roger,

Sounds like he is not the most articulant pastor out there.

Are freedoms worth dying for? Of course they can be! Most any Christian would tend to agree with that, Pastor or not.

Are freedoms worth "killing" for? Well that's a whole different question...one that you will and probably should get a variety of opinions on, amongst Christians and pastors alike.

TJR

Latest posts