Someone keyed my ST! Is there anything I can do?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We will help you get together a posse and go beat the living cr%p out of them!!!

Lowest of low-lifes vandalize cars.

I'm sorry to hear that one got you.

Argh, an autopian's nightmare. I hate key mark removals...

Can you place your finger nail in the scratch? Or, can you see the primer under the color coat? If so, wax isn't going to help.

If the mark is down to the primer, I recommend purchasing one of those touch-up pens or using a toothpick with your regular touch-up paint. Apply color in the scratch, and not around it. [Therefore, don't use the brush in the paint bottle!] Let it dry, and reapply another coat. You'll want the touch-up paint to be level with the untouched paint. Once you get it 'about right,' use a light cleaning wax and/or light polishing compound to clean the area, and then apply a coat or two of wax on top of it. It won't be 100% the same since there will be no clear coat on top of the touch-up paint, but it'll be much better than it was.

If the mark is just a clear coat scratch (the color coat remains), use a light to medium polish only on the keyed area. Follow this up with a finishing polish (re-glosses the area) and then a good cleaner wax. Finally, apply your favorite topper wax.

It can be done yourself; however, especially if the mark is only in the clearcoat, a good detailing or body shop can buff it so that it is much less noticeable, and in some cases, can completely remove any trace of the idiot's handiwork.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zack -

Gavin said it best..."Lowest of low-lifes vandalize cars". I've had similar issues unfortunately. I used one of the Auto pens as AdamCKach mentioned...It did an okay job. I'm going to try his trick with the toothpick this weekend on this nasty one on my door.

I actually had someone take a key, or other sharp object to one of my taillights last week...Can't understand why a person would do such a thing! I'm not sure how to get that one out without just replacing my taillights...

Good luck with your scratches!

SKI

Zach,

Touch base with your insurance company and ask them about turning in a comprehensive claim. A comprehensive claim will not increase your premium and usually it is a lower deductible than a collision claim.

I like Gavin's suggestion.

Dude, there is no good way to fix a key mark cheaply. Comp insurance is about the only way to offset the cost. You need to let a GOOD paint and body shop fix your trac.

Has anyone ever thought of mounting four small cameras inside the Trac, on the roof...one pointed out in each direction? Have little green or red LEDs that blink on each camera, then a window sticker on each side noting the survellience. The cameras need not even do anything other thank blink and detur dirtbags.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Zack,

Sorry to hear about your Trac getting vandalized.

My leased 2001 Sport Trac got keyed a few weeks before I was planning on turning it back into Ford and buying my new 2003 Sport Trac.

I used a touch-up pen to fill in the deep scratch, used a razor blade to carefully level off the paint, sanded lightly with 2000 grit paper and buffed it out. I could still see it but I knew where it was, however most people could not see it, even when I told them the rear fender was keyed. Even after just using the touch-up paint, it was not very noticable, but I was afraid that the dealer may see it when I turned the vehicle in and did not want them to charge me $300+ for repairs. The whole process only took a couple of hours after the touch-up paint dried for about a week.

...Rich

I will never understand the mentality of those who destroy things, or cause destrution. Even when I was young and full of mischief, I always respected others property.

What is so cool about destruction of what is not yours..:wacko:

Join the crowd. My ST has been keyed twice. Both are past the paint and down to bare metal. I'm not repainting cause I'm saving for a paint job but it sucks having to look at it all the time.

Latest posts