Something's wrong?!?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy Coleman

Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm gonna try my best to explain this. About a month ago, I was pulling into a gas station (afer a heavy rain) and all this trash was washed over a storm grate. Well, I drove over the grate not knowing that the trash was pilled about 6-8 inches above the grate. So long story short, my front wheel goes crashing down pretty deep. It was a rough bounce to say the least.

So when I'm getting back on the interstate, I can hear what sounds like a tire noise, higher the speeds the louder the noise. I figured that my alignment was knocked off. No biggie, everything else feels fine.

Than about two weeks later, I’m slowing down and turning into my driveway and there was this loud CLUNK sound. It was really LOUD. I felt it in the whole truck. But nothing pulled in the steering, the truck didn’t buck or pull in any way. It’s like getting hit by a cannon ball. I pull in the driveway and out but I can’t get it to repeat the sound. Everything feels fine.

Then yesterday, I’m pulling into the bank parking lot and BANG! It was so loud I looked back to see if I had drove over something that exploded. This time though, it was one big bang, followed by two smaller ones. Then nothing. I tried to make it do it again and nothing. The one thing I did both times was I was turning at a really slow speed?!?

Does anyone have a clue what this could be?!?! It feels like something binding up and then breaking loose. Very strange…

Could be an axle joint, hub bearing, Ball joint, Tie rod end, Control arm bushing...

Have a shop do a good complete front end check..

Todd Z

I had something similar when I had my 01 ST. It turned out to be a front axle problem. I had a car with a CV joint problem that did that too. Maybe a ball joint or broken shock. Get it to a garage and up on a lift before it gets worse.

Just curious, but after you ran over all that trash did you look to see if any sticks or anything might have been jamed into the suspension. I'm thinking it might be something that hangs up on a CV joint or some other rotating part when you are making tight turns at slower speeds. You should also look at the boots that protect the CV joints. One of those may have been damaged to the point where the CV joint failed prematurely.

I took it to the dealer and here's the report:

Both Front ball joints need to be replaced

Both front sway bar ends broke

One rear sway bar end broke

Ouch... that along with a trany fluid change, tire rotation, front end alingment.

Grand total, $1,176... man that hurts...

Are you handy with tools or know someone that is and is willing to help?

Sway bar end links, from Autozone. Ball joints, Autozone too. Save over 70% by doing it yourself.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Im going to put my money on...

Sway bar link.

I guess I should read, but I knew before I seen the actual cause!

I just had that same KLUNK noise. It was one of my links, now replaced with MOOG links.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where do you live i would be more than willing to help you or any other ford owners on this site for cost of parts, I live in Salt Lake, Ut

I am pretty handy and don't mind the DIY. I was the annoying child who stood on top of my fathers head and watched him do everything around the house, car & boat. Not too many women like me around :eek:) I have a 5 drawer tool chest in my closet, heehee..

The bad part is I'm driving out of town this weekend (leaving Friday) and had to have my truck up and running. The total price did include the alignment so in the end, it wasn't too bad. Still a big ouch. But all in all, the truck has 115k miles on it and this is the first time I've replaced any of these parts so I don't feel too bad. The dealer said they usual give up around 80k...

Thanks for the help guys!!! I love this site!!