South Carolina Tracs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Carlson

Reaction score
I got behind a white Trac the other day (Charleston, SC), and saw from the plates that it was registered as a truck, not as a regular vehicle. There's a lot of Sport Tracs here and that's the first one I've seen like that. I didn't know registration as a truck was an option. Any South Carolinians here know anything about that? Is it cheaper to register as a truck? (The annual vehicle taxes suck here, that's for sure)

It's more in OH as a truck. I don't have the option either. The man says I'm a truck, so I'm a truck. I pay $89 a year for the Trac with personalized plates.

I guess this varies everywhere. In Texas, I see ones registered as a car, truck, or sometimes farm truck. Mine is a car, I just didn't think anything of it but a truck would actually be a little bit cheaper. It is a hassle to get it changed, though. Of course, if you do use it for farm use, it is cheaper than anything to register it as a farm truck. In Texas, the driver in a farm truck doesn't have to wear the seat belt, so some people try to get that designation.

Amen to the sucking anual car tax. I wonder to if there is a payoff insurance wise as well?? My ST is white but am not in charlston area so it wasent me. I will ask around if you hear anything before me though let me know as money trees dont grow well in red clay;)

I don't believe they make any distinction between cars and trucks here in TN. (At least they've never told me if they do and I've registered trucks before.)