Spare tire Question (important)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnmaine

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a diameter question. I presently have General HTS 255/70/16 on all 4's

My spare is original Goodyear wrangler ats... 255/70/16 .....I need to take off the FRONT General and put the spare on due to a bad wear....Anyways the diameter difference between the 2 is 3/4 inch.....Will it be OK to run this for a couple of weeks....

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
on our 4x4 tracs the hubs dont unlock so if the tires are different diameters the axles will spin at different speeds and damage something... so dont do it

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I missing something? If the tires are both 255/70/16, where is the 3/4 inch difference coming from?

Tks Ed

Actually on the front it won't hurt anything as long as you don't put it in 4wd. The hubs are always locked but the differential is open. You may notice it pulling to one side however. If you put it on the rear AND your truck has a limited-slip, then it will tear up the differential after a while.

As Steve M said, I'd be more concerned about the safety of a tire that old. My son's girlfriend just bought a grandma car, a 2001 Chevy with 31,000 original miles and the original tires. Good tread on them but the sidewalls are dry-rotted to hell. I have used the spare on my Trac exactly once, when we were on vacation last year and got a puncture, but the next time I buy tires I will have them toss the spare and put one of the old ones on the rim. I have read in a couple of places that six years old is about as old of a tire that is safe to drive on regardless of how much tread it has.

Latest posts