Spark Plug Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Feck

Reaction score
I just changed my spark plugs yesterday on a job 2 2001. Let me say this was a major PITA! 2.5 hours of pure hell. I ended up removing both tires and mud guards to get to the plugs. I have many battle scares on my hands that are throbbing as I type. I wonder what the cost would have been if I took it to the dealer. I don't think I would tackle this again if I had the choice to do over. If you're thinking of doing this make sure to think it out before you start!

I feel your pain, dfeck. When I changed my plugs a few months back...I smashed my pinky on the first one. Of course, for the rest of that day, I hit it many more times. There just isn't enough room. I took the wheels off and still had trouble getting to some of them. I noticed the next day my hands were very sore. As if I was using muscles that I hadn't used in a while. I will do it again, if needed but at least I'll know going in what to expect.

I'll keep doing my own.

It's not that hard, and I'll know that they didn't change the 4 easy plugs and leave in the hard 2.

Besides, if you did it right, the next change will be a cakewalk, aside from the hard angles. By doing it right, I mean some anti-seize, dielectric grease, and trilithium crystals.

When replacing the plugs on my Trac, I index them. That includes installing the plugs to check orentation of the plug, removal of the plug to install the proper shim, then reinstall the plug. If the shim did not get the plug rotated to the correct location, you remove it, remove the shim and use a different one.

It wasn't that hard to do and I would never pay anyone to replace plugs. You never know what crap they would pull. I know people that paid for a plug job and the shop only replced the easy ones and said they replaced the other two.

Tom

I didn't think it was that hard. I've done much worse. Took me less than an hour, and that included the anti-sieze, di-electric, and generally taking my time and watching what I was doing. I had no problems with the stock wires, either.