Speaker upgrade difference

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08Red STA

Reaction score
For anyone who has replaced the factory door speakers w/ aftermarket, whats the difference? Is it well worth the $ or not that big a deal? For me they would be used off an aftermarket deck (Pioneer) and primarily for highs and mids, as I have a sub for bass.

I have upgraded to Focal K2P 6.5" components....i can't begin to tell you how much better they are....i have the subs as well, and about 120 square feet of sound deadener....

Massive difference if you go with an amplified component set. The aftermarket head unit amplification is pretty lame.

Seriously...like night and day.

Well I def wont be adding an amp for them, so they would have to get power from the deck. Would it still be worth doing or not really unless amplified?

Well...just adding an amped HU to the stock speakers will make a big difference. Most stock speakers are developed to play a wide range of frequencies. With an aftermarket component set (highs and mids) you would have a passive cross over that filters the frequencies better than a HU and normally the speakers are made of more durable and heavier material. Thus, usually you need more power to get them to perform at their best.

You can get full range speakers that will significantly out perform your stock set using the HU amp or a component amp. I’ve had Cadence and MTX full range drop in speakers before. The MTX’s ran on HU power and were great. The Cadence were component amplified and sounded way better.

The MTX speakers replaced the stock speakers in my 1991 Chevy pickup and then my 1996 Ram so it was a massive improvement. The stock speakers were literally paper. Hardly even cardboard.

The Cadence speakers replaced a good set of stock speakers in my 05 F150 FX4. Since they were amped by my comp amp it's not really a fair comparison.

Well...just adding an amped HU to the stock speakers will make a big difference. Most stock speakers are developed to play a wide range of frequencies. With an aftermarket component set (highs and mids) you would have a passive cross over that filters the frequencies better than a HU and normally the speakers are made of more durable and heavier material. Thus, usually you need more power to get them to perform at their best.

well put.

your head unit probably puts out more power than the factory unit, so if you were just going to upgrade speakers, i wouldn't go crazy...you wouldn't get the benefit out of them unless you were to amplify them. any entry level 5x7 will get you better sound than factory, that's for sure.

I replaced the original "Audiophile" speakers with Polk DX7s. Also added an amp. Amazing difference. The stock speakers, even optional upgrades, are absolutely bottom shelf.

Changing to a component set will see a vast improvement. If you are not going to put an amp in, I would still suggest changing them out to a nice set of 3 way 6x8's. My mother didn't want a different head unit but did want better sound. I bought a set of off the shelf Pioneer 3 way 6x8's at Best Buy ($99 a pair) and put in and could notice a difference just doing that. They weren't perfect, but did make a difference.

yes def. upgrade them i went to crutchfeld.com and had a great experience wth them, i would have no problem gettnigmore stuff from them, i went and got the Kenwood KFC-C6882ie for mine and they are night and day.

i did the research for your car , here you go.

It's like the difference between one of those $99 bookshelf stereos and a movie theater. The little one sounds good 'til you hear the better.

YES do the speaker upgrade.

Factory speakers are very cheap and almost like paper or cardboard.

Almost any aftermarket speaker is better than factory ones.

just like other members have said "The difference is Day and Night"

While your at it, a GREAT cheap upgrade is also doing a little Dynamat (sound deadning material.) or any other company that sells it. Even a little dynamat on the doors will improve your sound too.... (look it up and do a little research on it- you'll be amazed on how sound deadning material can help your sound.)

rob

Most of what I've read about Infinity on car audio sites indicates they are junk. However, my experiance says different. Amanda has Infinity speakers in her old Impreza for like 4 or 5 years and they sounded amazing. Better than my Cadence speakers. Her Infinitys were 6.5 round with a passive crossover and mid bass drivers and tweets. All amplified.

Her stock 06 Limited WRX speakers are pretty good amplified. However, the high end freqs suffer.