Speedometer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bret Pardew

Reaction score
I noticed the other day that my speedometer reading is now 10 MPH faster than actual speed. I have not changed tires, done tranny work or any of the usual things that would cause this.

Has anyone experienced this problem?? Feedback??

Many thanks,

BP

How have you determined this, Bret. Have you done a side-by-side calibration

with another vehicle, does it just "feel" 10 m.p.h. faster or what? Not to be smart, or

anything, but again, if you could give us just a few more specifics on this, it may help.

You seem to have covered all of the basics for what might have caused this error.

Let us know...

YES! I have the same exact problem. I have paced friends, gone through the street radars. For some reason it is always 10 mph ahead. My odometer stopped working as well. :wacko:

I would say there is an electrical issue, either computer or the VSS , vehicle speed sensor went bad.

Todd Z

Edited, Sorry Brandon

Last edited by a moderator:
Wha...? I didn't write the first post. I was just explaining to him that I have the same problem. If the vss was bad it wouldn't work at all correct? Also I have no CEL, so no codes are being thrown. Strange how the odometer quit and the speedometer keeps working, even if it is a bit optomistic. I though it might have been a problem within the gauge itself.

My town has been puting up radar machines, that show your speed. When I pass through one doing 40mph, the machine reads form 37 to 38. So I suppose I need to drive 2 to 3 over so I can do the speed limit..:lol:

The street radars have been covered, in detail, here in the past. They use the cheapest radar equipment and rarely are they calibrated correctly. Take it to a speedo shop or the dealer. Yes it will probably cost you money if you're out of warranty but if it's a concern this is the next step. Otherwise make a mental note and watch the speedo.

I have had the same problem ever sence I got my trac, exactly 10 mph over no matter what the speed. One problem is that im racking up alot of miles on my OD that may affect my resale value of it latter. Also I wonder if it affects my shift points and other performance. I to am running the factory specified tire size. Let us know what you find is the problem and what you do to fix it...

Latest posts