Sport Trac 101 confusion

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Bentley

Reaction score
Please forgive me cause I've only owned my STA for 3 days so far but I've been trying to learn and study up as much as I can about it. But, save me some research here and answer me a few basic questions, dumb as they may be.

1st question: Where is the break between 1st and 2nd Gen models. Is the 2006 the last 1st gen model?

2nd question: When I try and find some type of mod or upgrade part, let's just say a cheap ebay aftermarket air intake kit, they usually say that it will fit model years 2001-2004. Mine is a 2005. It seems to have the same 4.0 engine as the earlier trucks but they don't list one as fitting my 2005. What's up wth that?

I am wanting a cheap air intake, by the way, like ebay sells but can't seem to find one. Can anyone give me a name brand or part number so I can search better? And when I say cheap I mean the $25-$50 type.

I may think of some other dumb questions later but these come to mind right now. Thanks so much for your patience and help.

Mark

2001 to 2005 NO 2006 2007 to 2010 Then the end !!!

Most 2002 to 2005 Stuff is exactly the same...... They just don't list it right,...

As for Cheep..... you get what you pay for..... Save a couple of bucks more.... Get something better...

OR make your own, many have done that.

Todd Z

Now that Zabteck's TRUE CAI is no longer available, and discontinued,

closest thing to it is already on your truck. Use a good replacement filter.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/AirBox2/AirSilencerRemoval.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
swshawaii said:
Now that Zabteck's TRUE CAI is no longer available, and discontinued,

closest thing to it is already on your truck. Use a good replacement filter.

Cheap cold air intakes are really just hot air intakes. Just pull out the silencer, install a K&N replacement filter, and call it good.

Unfortunately, quality drop in panel air filters are over $40. (K&N, Amsoil Ea, AFE, etc.) :cry:

If I had not had this K&N left over from a 'stang project.

I would have stayed with the drop in.

I built this to take air from the fender.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Pulling air from the lower bumper

[Broken External Image]:

Ford did this right the first time. Just put in a K&N filter.

I pulled out the airbox silencer as was suggested. Boy, that was a job. Everything was pretty tight in there. But, got it done and will git the K&N filter bought soon.

Thanks guys.

Mark

As I figure it, conservatively, a 244C.I. motor turning at 6250 RPM with 80% volumetric efficiency requires 353 CFM of air. A Wix 46253 flows 350 CFM.

So unless you twist this thing over 6K RPMs a stock intake w/a Wix filter is fine.

Mark,

When I was using the stock box. I also took the silencer out. Also I took some foam rubber and cut a hole for the box intake. Placed it between the box and the panel hole the silencer stuck thru. Keeps the hot air from the motor out.

Eddie,

How often do you have to check your Dryer vent for lint build up...:bwahaha:

Just kidding...As long as it works, dryer vent hose is fine.

...Rich

How often do you have to check your Dryer vent for lint build up

Richard,

Everyday, dont want any fires...:bwahaha:

It is not ram air. It is routed from the lower bumper area. carries air into the fender area mostly when moving. As long as Im moving the intake air is ambient. It seems to help some during long term idle.

Im just a tinkerer with ideas sometimes.

mark,

I meant to also say to glue or double sided tape in place. So it wont move and block air flow.

As I figure it, conservatively, a 244C.I. motor turning at 6250 RPM with 80% volumetric efficiency requires 353 CFM of air. A Wix 46253 flows 350 CFM.

So unless you twist this thing over 6K RPMs a stock intake w/a Wix filter is fine.

Very true, BUT....

When that Wix filter gets just a little dirt in it, the CFM's drop to 325...and then a little dirtier 300, and so on and so forth.

K&N filters don't do that. Even a K&N filter completly dirty will flow better than a brand new Wix filter will.

Tom