Sport Trac Classic?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dre L

Reaction score
Opinions or expert knowledge welcome...

Obviously the dang thing was a "classic" from the moment it was born. What do you think about Tracs being recognized as classics (in thw '57 Chevy sense), and when?

With it being discontinued in 2012 (any word of reproduction in 2014), and us being fanatics, do you think a 2001 would be a classic in 2021?

I just don't know of many "modern" cars that carry the same emotion to gain that status in 20 years or so. Like old chevy's and original shelby's.

My attachment aside, everyone loves that f'n truck.

i love the ST...

but i wouldnt consider it to be a classic.....granted whenever i finally get another vehicle... ill miss my trac

An ST considered a classic? Nah...Too close to the overwhelming number of Explorers produced.

Now, if one were to keep it for 30+ years or so, it might bring on a price worth holding onto. That is, if fossil fuel is still available in 30+ years!!!!

The ST a classic :lol: I can't believe how many people in general are trying to predict cars becoming classics that are being produced right now.

Has the Chevy Citation reached classic status yet? I's been at least 30 years since it was made, and lots of people bought 'em when they were new.

IMO, if the ST does become a classic or collectible, it will take a couple more decades. Even then, it will probably only be the Gen 1, since it was the first of its type (I may be a little biased). Most likely, I think, is that they could become collectible by enthusiasts who know the difference between a Sport Trac and a regular Explorer.

The Chevy Citation by most accounts was a real piece of cr@p, which doesn't usually translate well into classic status (e.g., the Chevy Vega and the Ford Pinto, which really wasn't a bad car for its time but got a bad rep. for its gas tank placement).

a few years ago, i bought a '93(first year production)ford lightning p/u with 48k onwer miles thinking it would become collectable...never happened. i finally sold it for $8,500 and was glad to get that out of it. it was a great truck, and have just never figured out why they never hit a "collectable" status. the chevy ss454 truck of that same year would bring an easy 10k for a mediocore one.

dutch

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, it's classic...

...in the same way that I heard a DJ the other day saying that right after the break, they'd be playing some "classic" '90s Eminem..... :wacko: :blink: :eek:

Unfortunately the ST will probably always be known as an "afterthought". Just the fact it uses a modified "Explorer" frame that was used for many years makes it somewhat of a "freak". The purist "experts" will never give the ST the accolades it deserves. Don't get me wrong , I own a 2005 XLS and this is the most versatile truck I've ever owned. I believe from the launch date in '01 thru the last "Gen 1" '05, Ford got it right. Case in point, look at the many transformations of the IMO "classic" "Ranchero". I have owned FOUR of them starting from the "Falcon", "Torino", and ending with the LTD II derived '79 (last year produced). Experts will NEVER give the Ranchero "classic" status because it wasn't built from the "ground up". Same probably holds true for the El Camino.

Screw 'em, we know what we like. And just to piss 'em off let's ALL say, "CLASSIC FORD SPORT TRAC". :cool:

Not true the mustang was just a redesigned falcon right?:p If you really want to get technical everything from the begining of the automobile has been based on or around the flatform of another vehicle. So those purist can kiss my ST's

[Broken External Image]:

:eek::lol:

As in "Hollywoodland" any movie deemed a "classic" by self proclaimed experts , critics & film afficionados has a few requirements. BTW- IMO the term "instant classic" is an OXYMORON. First and foremost the primary actors must be deceased. Also, if the film won ANY of the "major" Oscars, it too "qualifies". I personally am stunned how freely the term is used. The music industry suffers the same way, I am an avid Beatles fan, NOT Beethoven or Mozart. As for automobiles, I guess the "Mustang" is a "given" due to it's sales numbers and longevity. According to "Wikipedia", the term "classic car" applies to cars built between 1925 and 1948. Ref: (Classic Car Club of America)

As for automobiles, I guess the "Mustang" is a "given", due to it's sales numbers and longevity. Nuff said.

Indeed. The Mustang is the longest consecutively-sold model of car in history.:cool:

Latest posts