Sport Trac Handling better or worse than...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry John D,

Roger is correct - space, not spacaers.

Backspace is a different way of measuring rim offset. Basically, it's the amount of space between the mounting pad of the rim (the surface that contacts the axel hub) and the inboard flange. Offset is the amount of space between the wheel (rim and tire) centerline and mounting pad.

3.5" of backspace on a 8" rim moves the rim outboard 0.5" (backspace of 1/2 half of rim width is centered).

There is a cheap diagram in my library.

Below is a link to a description.

Yes - shocks, anti-sway bar, rims and tires. No other suspension changes.

As for the handling, it is not as agile as a "regular sedan" (whatever regular is). It's a truck and it sways a bit, but it's a bunch better than stock. It has a bit of corkscrew that would probably take some money to cure (new torsion bars and shocks tuned for those), perhaps changing the front and rear roll centers to match, but this is big money in suspension geometry changes. I'd estimate I picked-up seven MPH in high speed turns and some confidence in having a better feel for what's happening on the road and with the tires. The tires slide less than the stock setup (tires and all) and I can feel when I have "over estimated" a turn, but have plenty of time to correct.

All-in-all, it’s fun to drive.

Last edited by a moderator: